Can't decide... Which synth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide... Which synth?

Next week, I have a bit of spare cash. I currently have a Behringer neutron and the Korg volca FM.

I will be able to buy another synth next week and a small mixer. I cannot decide which synth to get. My current choices are behringer model d, Korg monologue or Arturia microbrute.

I will also be buying the Arturia drumbrute impact.

What would you recommend/suggest?

Budget?

Does it have to be analogue or could virtual analogue be considered?

I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
      Budget?

Does it have to be analogue or could virtual analogue be considered?
      For the synth I'm looking at the lower priced ones... <£300

I may consider a digital one, but I think I'd prefer analogue. I have a few good vsti's which any digital hw synth would be competing against.

Comment

Have a look at the Roland SE-02.

Analogue, and a little outside of your budget, but I think I'd rather have this than the Behringer Model D. Just a personal thing really, not based on any hard facts.

Or does your synth need a keyboard? In which case the SE-02 would be no good.

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
          Have a look at the Roland SE-02.

Analogue, and a little outside of your budget, but I think I'd rather have this than the Behringer Model D. Just a personal thing really, not based on any hard facts.

Or does your synth need a keyboard? In which case the SE-02 would be no good.
          Looks nice, but I could get two synths for the price of that, granted that's Roland and quality.

I'm half tempted to get the IK uno synth as well.

I have Arturia keylab 49 midi controller, a keyboard isn't a necessity.

Comment

I think Korg is really killing it right now and the Monologue looks solid. You might also check out the Dreadbox Erebus, DSI Mopho or DSI Tetra - those are somewhat older but very affordable analog units with small footprints.
            Massergy - Spotted Peccary Music

Comment

Originally posted by Massergy View Post
              I think Korg is really killing it right now and the Monologue looks solid. You might also check out the Dreadbox Erebus, DSI Mopho or DSI Tetra - those are somewhat older but very affordable analog units with small footprints.
              Thanks, I wasn't aware of those synths. I'm having a real hard time deciding and now it's got even more difficult.
              Last edited by Lewis; 04-20-2019, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

Thanks, I wasn't aware of those synths. I'm having a real hard time deciding and now it's got even more difficult.
                Damn. Glad I didn't mention any others. But hey, if you're in this for the long haul you'll have a chance to discover and pick up all sorts of tools along the way. There are no bad choices out there and plenty of great synths on the used market too.

Comment

Originally posted by Massergy View Post
                  if you're in this for the long haul you'll have a chance to discover and pick up all sorts of tools along the way. There are no bad choices out there and plenty of great synths on the used market too.
                  So true

Comment

Just an update, I have ordered the drumbrute impact and the model d. As much as I had my heart set on the monologue, the model d offered two possible options both now and in the future. It's Eurorack compatible and has CV ins/outs allowing me to connect it to the neutron which I already own.

I'm sure whatever I ordered I'd be happy.
                    Thank you for your comments.

Comment

Cool. Model D should be a blast! Still have some time before the next AO Comp submissions are due - no better way to break in that new gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                        My current choices are behringer model d, Korg monologue or Arturia microbrute.
                        I'm late to this party I know, but I've had a Microbrute for a bit over 3 years now and I still love it. I stick with just the triangle 90% of the time, but with its saturation and the Brute filter you can get a wide variety of solid, deep, or ghostly tones out of it.

Both times I've tried a Monologue in person, and again when trying to listen to a YouTube demo, I just did not care for its sound at all -- I'm sure I could make it work, but its character is just unpleasant and off-putting somehow.

As for the Model D, I'm personally bored with Moog and I don't much like Behringer's business practices.

If I were going for another keyboard synth I'd be seriously considering the Yamaha Reface CS, or perhaps the Reface YC for something outside my usual sphere. The CS was fun to play and very immediate when I tried it. I was expecting to prefer the DX, but my tastes in FM synthesis have changed to a more modular/West Coast style rather than multi-op Yamaha FM.

Right now I'm waiting to see whether Arturia releases another synth -- or just a controller perhaps -- with a similar keyboard as the MicroFreak. Putting it on an update to the Microbrute would be ideal The sound engine of MicroFreak just doesn't excite me but I do like that touch keyboard. Otherwise, if I get the itch I will probably go for one of the Refaces.

Comment

Originally posted by falls a star View Post

I'm late to this party I know, but I've had a Microbrute for a bit over 3 years now and I still love it. I stick with just the triangle 90% of the time, but with its saturation and the Brute filter you can get a wide variety of solid, deep, or ghostly tones out of it.

Both times I've tried a Monologue in person, and again when trying to listen to a YouTube demo, I just did not care for its sound at all -- I'm sure I could make it work, but its character is just unpleasant and off-putting somehow.

As for the Model D, I'm personally bored with Moog and I don't much like Behringer's business practices.

If I were going for another keyboard synth I'd be seriously considering the Yamaha Reface CS, or perhaps the Reface YC for something outside my usual sphere. The CS was fun to play and very immediate when I tried it. I was expecting to prefer the DX, but my tastes in FM synthesis have changed to a more modular/West Coast style rather than multi-op Yamaha FM.

Right now I'm waiting to see whether Arturia releases another synth -- or just a controller perhaps -- with a similar keyboard as the MicroFreak. Putting it on an update to the Microbrute would be ideal The sound engine of MicroFreak just doesn't excite me but I do like that touch keyboard. Otherwise, if I get the itch I will probably go for one of the Refaces.
                          For analogue, I can't speak to the CS, but as an owner of a Yamaha Reface DX, I've been pretty happy with my choice, given my experience at creating FM synth voices. If I were going to get another low-cost hw synth, the CS would probably be my choice, since I already have the app to download and load new sounds from the Yamaha website, Soundmondo.com. About $400 USD, what's that about 200 british pounds?
                          https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                          https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                          https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Working...
                          X