Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Windows Only" Software

I'm a Mac user.

Sometimes I get really jealous when I see a product that I'd LOVE to use but don't have a PC to run it. (There are hundreds!) :sigh: Yeah, I know...why not just get a PC? Why not just install Windows 7 on your Mac? :nerd: I probably will...sometime in the near future. But in the meantime...I'd love to hear about those "Windows only" products that some of you are using! Does anybody has any experience with Psy-GEN or Ambitron? Those two look amazing...I just love the idea, the look, and because they are extremely ambient-focused...I can't help myself!

Let's hear your favorites PC users!!! :D
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Besides a couple of free Synthedit plugs that I don't even use anymore, I don't think I have any Windows-only software.

Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
      Besides a couple of free Synthedit plugs that I don't even use anymore, I don't think I have any Windows-only software.

Sorry...
      No need to be sorry!!! You should check out Psy-GEN though!!!!! I've heard it's AMAAAAZING for ambient. I'm going to try and recruit the developer to the forum as well. :bringiton:
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Does anybody have experience with Win 7 on Macs? I am curious as to how well it handles VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbotov View Post
          Does anybody have experience with Win 7 on Macs? I am curious as to how well it handles VSTs.
          This I would like to know as well!!! (For obvious reasons...;))
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Since my first experience with MIDI and audio editing (and making ambient music) was with a Mac LC (HyperCard for audio-editing goodness, Opcode System's Vision hooked up to my Korg M1), it doesn't surprise me
            to see a number of Mac users here. I haven't been one for a while- feels a bit odd writing about System 7 memories on a Win 7 machine.. but anyway, back to the topic. I've tried the demo for Ambitron, and Psy-GEN looks to be the next step
            forward in the concept.. I'm hoping Psy-GEN makes its way into my stocking this year, nice to see well-designed and executed newer VSTs specifically for ambient. I can't say how well Win 7 emulation works in Mac, as I've never needed it.
            OK, on to a smattering of VSTi/VSTs I know and love, mostly free- or donation-ware, not sure if all are "Win-ONLY", but probably:

-elogoxa's Sun Ra and Elottronix XL: Oldies but goodies, the first being a texture/sound generator, the second, a virtual "Frippertronics" tape-loop delay effect.

-H.G. Fortune's synths: An independent developer more dedicated to realizing the ultimate "Space-music-opus-in-a-box/one-button-wonder" VSTi, I haven't found. If you've never heard of him, google and visit, the man obviously loves his work.

-psychic modulation's Aethereal: Another wondrously spacey and texture-y synth, invites much tweaking.

-Krakli's Cygnus SF, K700nu, and more recent Xakt synths: The first, again space-oriented, but with a unique harmonics emphasis and SoundFont incorporation (and some great presets by the late great Tim Conrardy), the second, less genre-specific but just sounds great, third, again a harmonics-focused synth, but with a dusty, vintage flavor. All of Krakli(Ian Webster)'s work is great, but these 3 are my faves.

-VOS (VarietyOfSound), any/all: AKA Bootsy, the man makes high-quality, no-compromises FREE FX/signal processing plugins- so whether it's a reverb, delay, compressor, EQ, exciter or tape simulator, his plugins repeatedly find themselves in my projects.

-DSK's Ethereal PadZ and Darkness Theory 3: Two more synths that are well-suited for ambient production, some nice sounds can be found in each, respectively addressing the lighter and darker flavors of ambient-pad possibilities.

There are many, many more I could list- but once again I am reminded that if plugins were physical instead of virtual, an episode of "Hoarders" would feature me; I wonder if there's a Plugins Anonymous meeting nearby..

Hope this list helps somebody somewhere sometime find a new tool they really love; google/visit the devs, check out videos of demos, and feel free to pester me if there's a burning question I can extinguish.
            "Critics can’t stand these records, by and large, because in their search for eternal adolescence, they still want it all to be spunky and manic and witty."
            -Brian Eno

Comment

Originally posted by Duckett View Post
              I haven't been one for a while- feels a bit odd writing about System 7 memories on a Win 7 machine..
              Classic!!! :rotf: Such is life though, right?

There are many, many more I could list- but once again I am reminded that if plugins were physical instead of virtual, an episode of "Hoarders" would feature me; I wonder if there's a Plugins Anonymous meeting nearby..
              Wait...I thought this website this website was the meeting??? I'm confused!!! :lol: Maybe it's some other site with a 3 letter name...

Hope this list helps somebody somewhere sometime find a new tool they really love; google/visit the devs, check out videos of demos, and feel free to pester me if there's a burning question I can extinguish.
              Oh definitely!!! Thanks again for going above and beyond the call of duty. Yet another example of how great you are for this community.

Cheers Duckett!!!!!!!! :tu:

-S1gns
              Synphaera Records
              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I find the opposite is true - much of what I use works on both PC and Mac, but there's a lot of Mac only stuff I'd like. One of these days I'll get myself a decent Mac Pro to work on and also install Windoze.

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                  One of these days I'll get myself a decent Mac Pro to work on and also install Windoze.
                  THIS!!! I've never owned a laptop and can't bring myself to install Windows on my current machine...the only thing holding me back is of course, the PRICE! :
                  Synphaera Records
                  Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                    ... there's a lot of Mac only stuff I'd like.
                    Me too, like Metasynth 5

Comment

Originally posted by ontol View Post
                      Me too, like Metasynth 5
                      Don't forget about Numerology!!! :razz:
                      Synphaera Records
                      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Regarding PC only VSTs on Macs:

A developer released a new SE synth on KVR and there was a discussion about running on Macs. Here is the discussion:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

Apparently, someone tested this software and it works. Also needed is this software.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has success with these tools.

Comment

Incidentally, if anyone runs a 64bit host that supports Freeze/Unfreeze of VST and also uses JBridge I have a synth we are developing that needs to be beta tested. Send me a message or e-mail me at:
                          [email protected]

Comment

The most recent one I can think of is AudioGL. It's PC only right now (and still in beta) but there are plans for a Mac version eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbotov View Post
                              Incidentally, if anyone runs a 64bit host that supports Freeze/Unfreeze of VST and also uses JBridge I have a synth we are developing that needs to be beta tested. Send me a message or e-mail me at:
                              [email protected]
                              I don't right now, but I will in a couple of weeks when I finally get round to building the new PC. Let me know if that's too far out, but if you don't find anyone I can do some testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X