X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Ableton as a looper

Anyone ever tried this before:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...ring-required/

Basically using Ableton as a looper, selecting/deleting loops with keyboard macros.

Maybe I'm running before I can walk (new to Ableton) but I can't get it working; not sure what/where the record/play buttons are (tutorial shows round buttons but I can only see the square stop ones).

Not sure if Ableton has changed since this tutorial was written (six years ago), I'm using Live 9 Intro.

Probably blindingly simple to someone who knows what they're doing.

Cheers.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Haven't looked into it, but will have a closer look at looper & see whether I can contribute...
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

Gary, try posting it over at KVR - there are a ton of people there who use that side of Live. Someone like Justin3am could tell you all this in his sleep.

For the most part I use it as a traditional DAW as I don't really have the hardware for all the triggering, but once in a while I'll play around with the flip side of Live.

Comment

Cheers, I'll do that.

Lack of hardware is the beauty of this tutorial; ripping apart a surplus usb keyboard (heck, even a new one could only cost a few quid) and using keyboard macros, no midi or anything.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Interesting though. I'm hoping to pick up a small keyboard and something that can trigger via MIDI this Christmas. Want to upgrade Reason too, so not sure how much hardware I would be able to get. Triggering Live more effectively is definitely something on my mind, but not sure I would want to go this route, as I think there would be other DIY projects I'd dedicate time to if I had it.

Looks like an interesting article and I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with Live.

Comment

I've made some progess; turns out I hadn't configured my hardware inputs correctly so the tracks weren't arming (should have guessed as the buttons turned white instead of red... )

Now I can't seem to get keymapping working properly. Think I could be choosing keys already in use or something so going to try again this weekend.

Also noticed Intro 9 has the Looper plugin so maybe totally wasting my time...

As for DIY, I'd much rather be building a synth or something but would rather do that properly when I have the time/money so messing around with arduino based controllers scratches that itch in the meantime.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
            X