Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the new Waves Element synth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the new Waves Element synth?

I haven't yet...but I did listen to the demos on my lunch break and they sound pretty impressive. If you get it at JRRshop you can use the code "KVR" and get a discount on top of a already discounted price...saves you like $30 off the $99 retail price.

Anyone? Thoughts?

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=12081
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Thanks for the JRR tip! I might have to try the demo and see how it sounds. Interested also in how much the cpu usage might be as compared to say Diva?
    My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

I tried it and wasn't really all that impressed. It's got a very limited feature set, the sound quality really breaks up when the synth is driven to extremes, and there are some queer things like plops when engaging high-rate LFOs with PWM and filter stepping in host automation. This synth is a bit of "too little, too late" IMO. Sylenth, Predator, Imposcar, Saurus and other VAs sound better and are more versatile.

But do try the demo, the one-page simplicity concept might click with you, and it does sound nice if you keep to the middle ground.

Comment

OK well I finally got the whole "Waves installer" thing figured out and gave Element a good spin tonight...Ariston is right. I tried it, and well...If I scored it based on the presets alone (and there's plenty of 'em to choose from) I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It's a nice synth...nothing new here sonically speaking however. Another one to add to the pile so to say. I like VA synths like this which is why I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Out of the 150+ presets I tried, maybe 10 or so were truly inspiring. So hey, not bad Waves for a first time out. I think it's a well thought out synth, nice interface, good sound, etc.

I like how it's a standalone app as well...so I think to truly decide if I'm going to buy it or not I'm going to have to sequence it inside numerology or something with a proper step sequencer. It's interesting though that the biggest preset bank it's got IS the sequenced section...like for people who make say...trance music, it could be a total hit.

My 2 cents. Give it a go and see what you think!
        Synphaera Records
        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

They're trying to sell in an already overcrowded market, so they'd really have to knock one out of the park to make this sell. Haven't heard anyone raving about it so far.

Comment

Agreed. The thing that would make it attractive for me would be if they really hit one out of the park in like Urs did with, Diva, but on top of that if they also managed to make it fairly reasonable on the cpu. Then I would be impressed. As it is I could take it or leave it... well leave it!

I've actually been focusing more on updating my processing and reverbs, etc. and learning how to better use the things I already have.

The Exponential Audio reverbs, for example, and Sean's Vintage Verb excite me much more than yet another synth.
            My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

I've been doing the same - I don't worry so much about the source of the sound, more what I do with it. I really don't need any more soft synths (I might make an exception for Zebra 2 and Alchemy one of these days), but the more off the beaten track things appeal far more than things like this.

Comment

Honestly...when I saw there was yet another major VA synth...well...I dropped my laptop and ran screaming off into the snow. Actually...I didn't really drop the computer and I didn't really run into the snow, but it did so in my mind. Seriously, I want another VA as much as I want a colonoscopy.

Comment

I listened to the demos and they did not grab me at all. I don't think I'll even bother trying the demo since i have more than enough VA synthesizers lol

*Edited* No I won't give into gear lust.

That said, I still think Tone2 Saurus is a great synthesizer.

http://www.tone2.com/html/saurus_syn...r__vst_au.html <--- The Audio demos on this are pretty good! Waves should pay attention and make some better demos!
                  Last edited by V0RT3X; 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM.
                  -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Comment

I've tried it...megh.

:yawn:

Comment

Originally posted by JJBiener View Post
                      Honestly...when I saw there was yet another major VA synth...well...I dropped my laptop and ran screaming off into the snow. Actually...I didn't really drop the computer and I didn't really run into the snow, but it did so in my mind. Seriously, I want another VA as much as I want a colonoscopy.
                      LOL!!! :rotf: :lol:
                      Synphaera Records
                      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                        I've been doing the same - I don't worry so much about the source of the sound, more what I do with it.
                        Same here.

I certainly enjoy playing around with a new synth but ultimately give me something simple like Charlatan and I'll be happy processing the hell out of it to get the sounds I want.
                        Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                        X