Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protools Question Signs of life or anyone answer :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protools Question Signs of life or anyone answer :)

Been a cakewalk user , just started using that along with live, however just recently made the leap to protools I know signs that you use protools
    Just curious if you know of any good templates for ambient music , drones etc just trying to get the feel of protools however I like it so far I bought 11 with a eleven rack bundle on sweetwater

Thanks didn't know if this belonged the software forum thought I give it a shot

A little ignorant here (plus PT10), but not sure what you mean by templates for ambient. The only templates I know of in PT would be song templates (blank start up configurations), and for me that's just based on your work preferences, not particularly for genres. I just made a simple one with 1 instrument track.

I moved away from PT--mostly because of the RTAS and 32 bit (now AAX) limitations--would probably use it a lot more if I had 11 and didn't have to worry about bumping my head on memory. Loved working with it though, it just made sense to me. You'll find it a great DAW.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
      A little ignorant here (plus PT10), but not sure what you mean by templates for ambient. The only templates I know of in PT would be song templates (blank start up configurations), and for me that's just based on your work preferences, not particularly for genres. I just made a simple one with 1 instrument track.

I moved away from PT--mostly because of the RTAS and 32 bit (now AAX) limitations--would probably use it a lot more if I had 11 and didn't have to worry about bumping my head on memory. Loved working with it though, it just made sense to me. You'll find it a great DAW.

Sorry yeah song templates is what i was thinking I messed around with protools mpowered 8 along time ago but started using cakewalk but like you felt the same way about protools just loved the mixing and workflow, and using with ableton good combo for just something about the protools environment

I just got done building my own pc I didn't know what environment I would be running in it I thought It was going to be cakewalk bur protools does have more controller options which is one reason why I decided to go with protools from now on

Comment

Yeah, so far, PT still is my favorite place to mix.

Do you still get the AIR instruments with 11? I liked them so much I will be buying them again to use in S1 eventually. I have Loom now and will upgrade to the full pack.

Comment

Hey man! Nice topic.

Unfortunately, I stopped using Pro Tools about a year and a half ago. When I began working on Ascendant, Phase47 and I needed to find a solution that worked for both us where we could work quickly and easily and still keep our sanity and plugins intact. We eventually settled on Ableton. We've had our ups and downs (especially due to the fact it's not a great mixing environment) but overall, I don't see myself using anything else anytime soon. I'm 100% Live now.

I do look fondly at my Pro Tools days though and still boot it up from time to time just to see what I was doing. It's an extremely powerful audio editing and mixing environment (probably the best) and is certainly capable of doing ambient music. I've said this 1000 times but I wouldn't have been able to do what I did in Pro Tools if it hadn't had been for VEPro 5 to host my AU's and VST's inside PT. However, it looks like AAX has taken off and most plugins I install up to this minute usually offer an AAX version which is good looking at the future.

My best advice is use the plugins the way you would if you were in arrangement view in Live. Use the real time bounce (which I never experienced since I used PT10) for all that it's worth. It looks extremely powerful. Layer your material. Bounce and rebounce until your hearts content...pile on the effects because Pro Tools can handle that kind of thing. Think long form pieces that evolve over time. One thing I love about Live is it's so precise as far as sequencing and looping goes. Pro Tools is a different animal, but you can still do the same types of things. Use it for all it's worth. I know you can do it and can't wait to hear the quality and fidelity of your work...because in the end, the Pro Tools engine still does sound good.

Congrats on the switch and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
          -S1gns
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I have ableton live 9 standard and like it my only complaint is it is only able to recognize one vst folder after that Live is definately a great environment can start playing around with sound.

Comment

it's getting a little offtopic but...

Originally posted by deepstasis View Post
              I have ableton live 9 standard and like it my only complaint is it is only able to recognize one vst folder after that Live is definately a great environment can start playing around with sound.
              You can work around this limitation in Live by utilizing symbolic links on the OS level. Works for me in Windows and should do likewise in OSX.
              Soundcloud

Comment

symlinks ftw. The same goes for FL Studio, I think. I haven't used it for a while.
                Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Working...
                X