Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first VSTi - "Overtone Modulator" (Windows 32bit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first VSTi - "Overtone Modulator" (Windows 32bit)

Recently I'm going in depth with additive synthesis.

So I created a VSTi named "Overtone Modulator" that uses 16 sine waves stacked up following the overtone-series.
    The VSTi is Windows only and 32bit. I created it using FlowStone.

overtone_modulator.png

How it works:

• the leftmost slider changes the tuning (for me this is the most important feature)
    • the "Modulator" slider changes the color of the sound by pitching up some of the overtones
    • beneath the sliders there is a scope displaying the actual waveform
    • under the scope there is a classic ADSR envelope
    • at the bottom there's an LFO and a volume knob

on September 16th 2015, I added the following:

• loading and saving presets
    • automation of the knobs and faders

Feel free to donwload and try it out! In case you like it, I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions and ideas ...

Overtone Modulator.zip
    Last edited by Ahornberg; 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM.
    ahornberg.bandcamp.com
    soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Windows only? Even though I don't have a mac, I resent developers who refuse to code for more than one platform--we need it to work on everything from windows 3.1 to MacOS 5... I take it as a personal affront when all OS's are not compatible.

And the GUI needs to look like its an old piece of gear, but you need it in 64bit to meet the latest OS needs. It's also too big as well as too small. And the colors are all wrong. There are no fancy VU meters, so how can we take this seriously?

What is the procedure for transferring licenses? I use VSTs as an investment and will need to buy then resell everything twice before I retire.

And if there is any copy protection, it best not be dongled, or I will personally write a long flaming post and troll every post you participate in...

And when can we expect version 2? This plug is already hours old and there hasn't been a single update.

Oh wait, this isn't KVR. :biggrin:

But seriously: congrats on your first development!

downloading it now to check it out. I do run a 64bit environment, but use jBridge. I can check it out in Studio One 2 and the latest Reaper both 64 and 32. I will post up any bugs and let you know how I did with it!
    Last edited by aoVI; 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

here is the first track using 6 instances of Overtone Modulator created by Directionless http://directionlessmusic.com/host/s...nberg_plug.mp3
      ahornberg.bandcamp.com
      soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

just another short demo

https://soundcloud.com/ahornberg/spieluhr
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

:thumbsup:Congrats! How to cool to develop your own plugin! Bit jealous, sometimes I have ideas for plugins...but I rarely find time to come up with tracks as is. 32 bit only might be a challenge, but I'll try and excavate my old system in the basement. As for feedback, just from looking at it, I thought how cool it would be to automate that overtone modulator? . Probably the whole design is geared towards the sinewaves/overtones? If somebody tasked me with coming up with a weird expansion to this synth, I'd say add another oscillator with ring-mod function...but as the examples show, it's a very capable tool as is. Congrats again & I look forward to hearing more
          www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

This could be right up my street. I've been using Anarchy Effects "Harmonic Adder" on my AO5 compilation submission. I think this could achieve similar results.

I'll give this a try later.

Just add reverb - makes its own sauce.
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
              So I created a VSTi named "Overtone Modulator" that uses 16 sine waves stacked up following the overtone-series.
              Excellent

I've downloaded the VST but not had a chance to try it yet...

One thing I am thinking of is routing this through Tantra, just for a start.

Perhaps we should have a Dare based on this instrument :D
              I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I am currently working on a new version of the Overtone Modulator.

The following things are on my list:

• a better ADSR envelope

I plan to do some research on creating inharmonic overtones like used in Gamelan instruments and their tuning systems.
                So maybe the next version will sound different, maybe totally different. My goal is to create a sound that was never heard before!

So stay tuned ...

PS: I'm not going to add effects like reverb, chorus and so on because there are a lot of VST-fx that do the job 10 times better ;)
                ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Very nice sound.

I messed around with Synthmaker a lot in years gone by so if you need any help with presets etc. (and I can remember.. ) I'd be happy to help.

A couple of my plugs still up here: https://sites.google.com/site/garygoldfinch2/
                  Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I'm not going to add effects like reverb, chorus and so on because there are a lot of VST-fx that do the job 10 times better ;)
                    I totally agree with that.

In fact, I more often than not turn off any "on-board" effects on most of my VSTi.

I'm just wondering, because I know nothing of what you do, is making a VSTi 64bit a major operation?

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                      I'm not going to add effects like reverb, chorus and so on because there are a lot of VST-fx that do the job 10 times better ;)
                      I totally agree with that.

In fact, I more often than not turn off any "on-board" effects on most of my VSTi.

I'm just wondering, because I know nothing of what you do, is making a VSTi 64bit a major operation?

cheers

andy
                      Because I'm using Flowstone to create the VSTi I am limited to the export-options built in Flowstone.
                      And actually VST-export is 32bit only and Windows only in Flowstone.

There are some DAWs like Reaper or Bitwig that support both 32bit and 64bit VST at the same time.
                      So I don't care about the 32/64-thing at the moment ...
                      ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                      soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

now I added the following to the Overtone Modulator:

you can to download the new version from the first post in this thread.
                        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I wasn't asking for reverb, I was misquoting Frank Zappa :biggrin:

"I told them we already got one"
                          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

There are some DAWs like Reaper or Bitwig that support both 32bit and 64bit VST at the same time.
                            True enough... I've become a bit of a 64bit snob over the last year or so...

I had a very quick play in Sonar Platinum yesterday afternoon and it worked fine, so I need to address my reticence to use 32bit stuff in future

now I added the following to the Overtone Modulator:

you can to download the new version from the first post in this thread.
                            Excellent!

Comment

I just found this beautiful tutorial http://martin-finke.de/blog/tags/mak...o_plugins.html

So this could be a way to develop 64bit VSTi ...:daydream:
                              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Working...
                              X