Paulstretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulstretch

Does anyone have it? I found the download link for the compiled software but the website isn't working...at all! All this talk about stretching audio and how amazing paulstretch is has me a tad bit envious. :blush:

Before I go knocking on the door of the guy who ported it, if anyone could send me the .dmg file (if you have it, if not...no worries) or if you know where it's hosted...that would fantastic!

Otherwise...I'm going to have to start using this windows laptop next to me for something other than being a computer that runs chrome. :razz:

Cheers!
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

I didn't know there WAS a port to Mac! :D

But in case you can't find it, download the Win version and use that Windows machine! Do it! Do it! DO IT! :D

Comment

Paulstretch is built into Audacity on the PC. That's how I built my drone.
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

OK ok ok...so call it what you will but I gave up on the download link, made lunch, came back 45 minutes later and the download link worked!!! Running Paulstretch 2.2.2 on my MAC! Buahahahahaha! :biggrin:

It's a straight windows port...no GUI changes, nothing. It looks funny!!! :razz: But it works.

My first attempt at something was a guitar riff sample I had...so I stretched it out what I thought was 65 times...turned out to be over 1 hour and 40 minutes long!!! Oops. :p

So I changed the thread title so we can all share our tips and secrets. How do YOU use this little beast?
        Synphaera Records
        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I use it on my Macbook - pretty straightforward, no frills. I just load in whatever sample I want to stretch and mess around with a few different time stretches. Once I find one I like, I export it and continue/finish processing in Ableton.

I'm trying to not use it a lot though - while I believe it is a great tool that does a great job, I don't want to become dependent on it. In other words, it's not very creative to simple drop in a couple samples, stretch them out to 10 min and then call that a "drone".:thumbsdown:However, used sparingly and in conjunction with a great mix, Paul Stretch can add a tasty layer to your production.
          www.matthewbarlow.bandcamp.com

Comment

Definitely. It's just another technique to add to your "bag of tricks". If you use it all the time it sooner or later it will become boring... and worse, cliché!
            Last edited by Nemo; 02-13-2013, 04:17 AM.
            My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

Agreed, Nemo. As with many all techniques at our disposal, it is one that can quickly become tedious with excessive use. Used sparingly, it can produce spectacular results. An awesome tool, and certainly a LOT of fun to play with :biggrin: Thanks for reminding me about this one, guys!
              Retnuh Recordings on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | YouTube | Blogspot | Last.fm
              Tim Hunter Music (soundtrack work) on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | YouTube | Blogspot

Comment

Actually I tend to only use it for very long stretches, and if I stretch something I'll usually use my DAWs capabilities. It's great for really long stretches though, but I tend to be very critical of the results - you have to have something interesting to start with or it just ends up being far to boring to use when changes are so slow and notes drawn out too long with no apparent change.

Comment

Paul is a fun! I’ve used it in the past few times, pretty cool little tool, although very basic... I see it as a base ingredient for further more manipulation & creation, a bit like flour or sugar in a cake...

When used raw I think Paulstretch really has a distinct sound though, sometimes I can spot right away when someone has used it as is in a track, which kinda kills the magic for me... I like listening to an artist’s music/track and then suddenly start wondering how the hell he did create such an amazing particular sound...
                  Last edited by Red Fog; 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM.
                  http://soundcloud.com/red-fog
                  http://landofthedrones.blogspot.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fog View Post
                    ...sometimes I can spot right away when someone has used it as is in a track, which kinda kills the magic for me... I like listening to an artist’s music/track and then suddenly start wondering how the hell he did create such an amazing particular sound...
                    I know what you mean... though I've never had that issue with any of the tracks that I've heard from any of you guys! Even if I can tell how something was done, it's still very inspiring to hear how that effect or sound was put to use. Hm... I'll have to try that, kind of thing...

The worst for me is when you hear a soundtrack or commercial and you know the 'composer' is just fiddling with the preset. The very worst was one car commercial a few years ago where the entire thing consisted of the guy just going through several drum related presets sequentially one by one. :puke:

But then again it was... well I can do that too! Also, with soundtracks I'm willing to give the person the benefit of the doubt because maybe that's what the director insisted on.

Comment

As far as stretching and backwards kind of things I usually use the algorithms in Cubase or Wavelab. I'll have to check out Paulstretch in case it brings something new to the table.

As far as this kind of stuff goes... especially very special effects kinds of things I generally try to limit myself to maybe one or two usages in any particular composition. Sometimes best is if you put something in and people might not even notice it the first few times they listen to it. Sometimes it's there and very subliminal so you don't even notice it, but if you take it away you notice right away that something is missing.
                      Last edited by Nemo; 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

How is Cubase's stretching algorithm? I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                          I'll have to check out Paulstretch in case it brings something new to the table.
                          I think where it benefits over the stretching in a DAW is that it doesn't add in too many unwanted artifacts for very long stretches. Not that my DAW (Live) is bad at the longer stretches, it's just that the results from Paulstretch seem a little less obvious once I get up to say 8 or 10 times stretching.

Comment

I've never used paulstretch in any of my stuff yet. Seems kind of interesting though.
                            -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
                              How is Cubase's stretching algorithm? I haven't tried it yet.
                              Not too bad, though it does get kind of funky at extreme settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X