X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-he RePro 1 (@ GaryG)

Hey Mr. G,

Didn't you once say you owned a ProOne?

If so, have you checked out the new RePro 1 from U-he? Whatcha think?

Have you heard Luftrum's remake of Yazoo's classic "Only You"?

Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
      Have you heard Luftrum's remake of Yazoo's classic "Only You"?
      He's a talented guy, that's pretty much spot on to my ears. And raises all that cash for charity too. Chap.

@aoVI

Yes, I did. I've haven't played with this full beta yet, only the dev/research version earlier in the year. It sounded pretty accurate (as far as I can remember*). Nice and... sharp.

I love the GUI and appreciate these accurate recreations. But, I think I prefer synths that take advantage of what's possible in software. Maybe something like Linplugs Alpha or Dune, broadly similar topology but more versatile thanks to their mod matrices (obviously totally different soundwise). The Pro Ones mod system was kind of elegant for the time/budget but it's pretty limiting by today's standards. If you want those 'limitations' (not meant dismissively) as part of the whole experience then this looks like a great emulation. Personally, I'd rather stick with something like ACE and all it's possibilities.

(* As always, I don't think I have 'golden ears' and not a total synth head either. I certainly can't post stuff like "I had one of these back in the 80s, this repro has slightly different resonance response in the high end..." like you'll see on KvR etc. Truth be told, I struggled to hear a significant difference between the different filter algos...) I sold mine a decade ago so my memories of it's sound are kind of dull (unlike it's sound ))
      Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks both of ya...

Yeah, I am sure there are measurable differences but doubt it really matters in the big picture other than bragging rights.

From what I gather the RePro is trying to offer as much of the experience of the synth, including its limitations to a degree. Certainly the lack of polyphony inspires a different performance, but I lack enough of the craft of a keyboardist to have that aspect lost on me mostly. I have better luck focusing on processing and processes than playing ability.

I do like it's sound and have messed with it a bit. Its not a bad price, but I need to hold my dollars this month just in case there is some delay or reverb this coming Black Friday I can't live without. Maybe one in blue or with stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
          From what I gather the RePro is trying to offer as much of the experience of the synth, including its limitations to a degree.
          I think it succeeds admirably then in that respect. I had a go with the beta last night and enjoyed it. Surprised at first by the sound before realising it had effects... It sounds like I remember my ProOne sounding, certainly has that bite. I won't be buying it (have enough synths for my purposes) but as a package, it's pretty decent, seq and arp are good fun.

I need to hold my dollars this month just in case there is some delay or reverb this coming Black Friday I can't live without. Maybe one in blue or with stripes.
          I think an intervention is required...

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I have done really well this year (for me) only purchasing a couple of things that were fairly unique to my collection and useful. The only thing that might not fall into that would be my recent Xils 4 purchase from the Charity auction, but that was for a good cause and was something I had intended to pick up at some point.

Comment

Same here. No big purchases this year. A few upgrades, and I recently bought Ozone, bet self-restraint has been the order of the day.
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                self-restraint has been the order of the day.
                I wish I could say the same :roll:
                >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

I'm struggling with this one...
                  I really don't need any more synths, but this one is just SO MUCH FUN!!! I'll keep fighting the good fight though.

Comment

Working...
                  X