X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT11

Avid announced Pro Tools 11...

From Pro Tools Expert

Been reading about it all night!!! I can't tell if I'm excited yet...I'm going to let it sink in for a couple days and see how I feel after things settle down and the smoke clears.

Overall though, looks like a really great upgrade!
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

It does look like a great upgrade, but I am still not convinced I'll upgrade since the price for me would also get me most any other DAW's top version. Avid's been looking a little shaky the last year or so as well.

I do like that PT10 will still be available if you do upgrade--at least I won't lose the plugins that do not go AAX.

I know I will sit back for a bit at the least and let the early adopters iron out the bugs before I do decide.

:hmmm:

Comment

Looking less likely I'll go for 11.

Avid just seems to have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
          Looking less likely I'll go for 11.

Avid just seems to have no clue.
          Avid no clue?! NEVER!!! :lol:

Just curious...why you say?
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

well, none of it affects me directly, but there seems to be some short-changing of promises made, such as the academic versions not getting promised 4 years of upgrades, people who paid for the CPTK getting a bit of the shaft as well.

I saw a bit of this when they went to 10 as well. Seems they see what they can get away with, then when there is an uproar, back down and act like they are doing people a huge favor by honoring promises.

Pro Tools has been a good program, but for a non-professional artist, there are little advantages to using it, and several drawbacks (hoping a developer makes an AAX version of a cool plug).

Seems they are back-tracking on some of it, but I can't see the advantage to upgrading to 11 over just staying with 10 and say, getting Studio One Pro. It's be cheaper too. I'd just as soon get off this train.

Comment

I know how you feel. I'm on the train right now...and I'm wondering if I should stay on. My thing with pro tools is I've become efficient with it, and for what I do, right now, it's extremely efficient. That being said, ever since I hopped on I've still been looking elsewhere for another solution because I've never felt grounded underneath my feet. Maybe this is just what producing is all about?! All these companies making DAW's and us, just moving from one host to another just making our music along the way, spending money, and hoping for support down the line?! Yiiiiikes! :thumbsdown:

I'll wait for some serious and non-biased reviews on PT11 before I jump in. As well as real user feedback...before I carve a $300 hole in my pocket. In the meantime, you're right...10 is nice, stable, and works mighty fine.
              Synphaera Records
              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I have finally decided for certain that PT ends with 10 for me. I wonder why some of the developers made the 32 bit AAX plugs when they weren't going to run in PT11 anyhow? While many have made statements that they will be eventually making the 64bit AAX that will actually work in 11, the waiting just isn't worth it to me when I can get another DAW for around the same price that doesn't have it's own plugin format. I feel most comfortable in the PT recording enviornment, but it is time to say thanks and good bye to Avid.

I feel better already.

Now--I am deciding between Cubase and Studio One. My main method of working is to use VI's, played live, and altered later using automation (as well as effects with automation). PT's automation was easy to work, and I am hoping for a similar experience with another DAW. After doing a bit of research it seems to me Cubase would be my best bet, but are there any out there with experience with either of these two that could share experiences with automation?

I can get Cubase 6 with Halion for $369 including a free upgrade to 7. This deal seems like a pretty good one--unless someone can think of a compelling argument for Studio One.

I should add the reason I am considering a new DAW instead of just staying with PT10 is the fact I am constantly running into memory issues due to the RAM limit in 32bit land. I will continue to use PT to have access to some of the AIR products I have grown to love.
                Last edited by aoVI; 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry to butt in, i just noticed that 11 is compatible with windows 8 so now im thinking, do i spend a large chunk of cash on a program i havent used since i did some professional production work, i think PT was at v.7, has it changed greatly?
                  https://soundcloud.com/negativespectrum

My record label
                  http://xenomorphrecords.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mikkha76 View Post
                    Sorry to butt in, i just noticed that 11 is compatible with windows 8 so now im thinking, do i spend a large chunk of cash on a program i havent used since i did some professional production work, i think PT was at v.7, has it changed greatly?
                    Well lucky for you there's a demo for that! Give it a try for 30 days.

http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools

And yes, to answer your question it definitely HAS changed, quite a great deal I imagine. But all in all, it's still Pro Tools. Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

-S1gns
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                      I have finally decided for certain that PT ends with 10 for me. I wonder why some of the developers made the 32 bit AAX plugs when they weren't going to run in PT11 anyhow? While many have made statements that they will be eventually making the 64bit AAX that will actually work in 11, the waiting just isn't worth it to me when I can get another DAW for around the same price that doesn't have it's own plugin format. I feel most comfortable in the PT recording enviornment, but it is time to say thanks and good bye to Avid.

I feel better already.

Now--I am deciding between Cubase and Studio One. My main method of working is to use VI's, played live, and altered later using automation (as well as effects with automation). PT's automation was easy to work, and I am hoping for a similar experience with another DAW. After doing a bit of research it seems to me Cubase would be my best bet, but are there any out there with experience with either of these two that could share experiences with automation?

I can get Cubase 6 with Halion for $369 including a free upgrade to 7. This deal seems like a pretty good one--unless someone can think of a compelling argument for Studio One.

I should add the reason I am considering a new DAW instead of just staying with PT10 is the fact I am constantly running into memory issues due to the RAM limit in 32bit land. I will continue to use PT to have access to some of the AIR products I have grown to love.
                      Interesting post! I'll tell you straight up right off the bat I just upgraded my copy of Digital Performer to version 8. Why? Live performance. But am I saying goodbye to PT? Not just yet. I've got 2 full albums recorded and mixed in PT...and 11 looks very good.

But for you, I think it's awesome you've finally made that decision. The most important thing is that you not only feel comfortable using a DAW, but are secure that the tool you are using is the right choice and it works for you. If any of those fail, it's time to seek elsewhere.

As for where you will end up, seek and you shall find. Just keep trying different things until something works. I don't know about Cubase or S1, but many here would and I'm sure you can get an opinion on it. Let us know where you land.

Cheers,
                      -S1gns
                      Synphaera Records
                      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I got my PT11 upgrade last week and I'm really looking forward to the day that I can switch over 100% from PT10. Of course, that's going to mean waiting for my most-used plugins to go 64-bit AAX and I've already uncovered a nasty bug that's causing crashes. But, I was never expecting PT11 to be usable from day one, since it was obvious that there would be a lag time b/t its launch and third party developers releasing 64-bit AAX's. My initial reaction to PT11 is very postive, though. It runs smoother with less resources, and some of the new features (e.g., offline bounce, new meters) are nice.
                        cryophonik | myspace | facebook | soundcloud

Comment

i had a look at my friends PT 10 running on windows 7 and i quite like it, i would download the 11 demo but it seems i require an iLok usb something i do not have
                          https://soundcloud.com/negativespectrum

My record label
                          http://xenomorphrecords.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mikkha76 View Post
                            i had a look at my friends PT 10 running on windows 7 and i quite like it, i would download the 11 demo but it seems i require an iLok usb something i do not have
                            No worries. Personally, I do not like the idea that any software is tied to a USB stick. I have three USB sticks stuck in my machine right now, and one of those is the iLok. If that ever fails, I'm out another $50. The other two are for Propellerhead's Reason and VE Pro 5 which I also use with Pro Tools.

My goodness, why can't all software just be email, password, and internet verification? It's 2013 come on now...

That being said, I'm going to download the Pro Tools 11 demo soon and run it alongside Pro Tools 10 and give it a test run. I'll report back.

Cheers,
                            -S1gns
                            Synphaera Records
                            Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Working...
                            X