No announcement yet.

What's Your DAW of Choice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been using FL since 2002 to make ambient (as well as orchestral) music, so I'd say it's capable of any genre. I think the biggest hurdle the developers have is trying to disassociate themselves from the old "fruityloops" name. It's called FL Studio now, but everyone still calls it Fruityloops, and those who've never used it consider it a toy. :P

I agree with a220. The piano roll is excellent, and it's the main reason I've used FL all these years. There's something about it that's so easy to use. I've experimented with a number of other DAWs over the years to see what they had to offer, but I'd always find other piano rolls awkward to use. I'm sure my familiarity with FL has a big part to play in that though.

All that said, you can't beat the free lifetime updates FL offers. I honestly don't understand how they've stayed in business all these years.
    Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
    altusmusic.ca
    Bandcamp

Comment

• No matter what DAW I try, I always come back to Studio One. As a matter of fact, S1 is rendering something right now :D
      Meh.

Comment

• so here's a tutorial explaining fl's piano roll

https://youtu.be/KxeG3abjid4
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• actually I'm running Bitwig 1.2 beta ... not the big difference to 1.1 bit still the DAW I prefer in the VST-world (beside Reason and beside SuperCollider)
          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• Originally posted by KrisM View Post
            No matter what DAW I try, I always come back to Studio One. As a matter of fact, S1 is rendering something right now :D
            Did you upgrade to 3?

I didn't see anything that made me feel like I was missing out by sticking at 2 for a while longer, but will probably upgrade at some point. Not saying it was a bad upgrade, just 2 is doing fine.

Comment

• Bitwig Studio all the way down. Has replaced pretty much everything else for me.
              There is so much good and clever stuff in there, so much flexibility, all other DAWs feel stale now.
              From the incredible modulation capabilities to the very flexible routing (allowing me to do surround sound in a stereo DAW), autodetection of newly installed plugins, crashprotection for plugins, autodetection of midi controllers while running (yes, on windows)...
              This together with the side-by-side cliplauncher and arrangement and the totally free order of devices in the device chain (have an audio effect in front of an audio to midi vst and as many midi-mangling VSTs after that to then have VST instruments etc. in any order...) are just perfect for me.

Fun :-)

Cheers,

Tom
              http://www.screendream.de | “Do not seek water, get thirst.” - Rumi

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas Helzle View Post
                Bitwig Studio all the way down. Has replaced pretty much everything else for me.
                There is so much good and clever stuff in there, so much flexibility, all other DAWs feel stale now.
                From the incredible modulation capabilities to the very flexible routing (allowing me to do surround sound in a stereo DAW), autodetection of newly installed plugins, crashprotection for plugins, autodetection of midi controllers while running (yes, on windows)...
                This together with the side-by-side cliplauncher and arrangement and the totally free order of devices in the device chain (have an audio effect in front of an audio to midi vst and as many midi-mangling VSTs after that to then have VST instruments etc. in any order...) are just perfect for me.

Cheers,

Tom
                fully agree with you
                ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• No no no no no....

You have to use the DAW I think works best or you have some sort of developmental problem. Everyone has to see (and hear) things my way.

Studio One, with a little helping of Reaper on the side or you aren't a serious producer.:workingout:

Comment

Bitwig Studio all the way down. Has replaced pretty much everything else for me.

Cheers,

Tom
                    Oh man, now I wonder! I've been curious about Bitwig before beta, watching it from the sidelines and seeing how it develops. I use Live 9 suite...waiting to see if Live 10 can match it. Perhaps not this year, but next.
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

• I happily sold Live Suite 8 & M4L for Bitwig Studio. :-)

The Live 9 Beta and some of the things the devs in the beta forum said made it clear to me that my time with Live is over. At one point, software goes fat and complacent - not my tribe.
                      For me the things that Live still has over BWS are not important or I come up with workarounds (I find it actually fun and often inspiring to do that).

With Live, I always used S1 as linear DAW on the side since I hated the arrangement in Live and just couldn't get used to it.
                      BWS has that one straight for my needs, so S1 catches dust (as does Reaper 4, Sonar x3, Tracktion 5 and most other things I tried over the years)

What I still use alongside BWS is Usine HH II. But the modular, node based stuff in BWS 2.0 may take that over too.
                      I also use Audition 3 for audio editing - that is an old love, I still have the floppy with CoolEdit 95 somewhere, bought via Compuserve... :-)

I know the Bitwig team quite well since I live close to the office and worked with them for some time last year. Their passion for what they do is something I love to deal with.

But yeah, will be interesting if Live becomes invigorated by finally having a sparing partner ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
                      http://www.screendream.de | “Do not seek water, get thirst.” - Rumi

Comment

• fl studio. i started with it many many years ago when it was still fruity loops. for that reason i stay with it. i dont see much advantage in taking the time to learn a new daw. for me the workflow is super easy and there hasnt been anything i wanted to do that i couldnt make happen. ive tried other daws, and just dont get along with them at all. fl studios workflow is unique and doesnt translate well. though the plus side is the flexibility it offers when using it. the main issue it has for me is poor midi implementation, but that boils down the developers stubbornness more than any real limitations with the software.

i could see how someone that does a lot of live recording might not like it...but since i do nearly everything in the box...i dont have that problem.

someone mentioned they dont like fl 12 because they think its too different. i couldnt disagree more. its not different at all. its nearly identical in every way with just some new features and a slightly reworked gui. the vst handling is changed, but thats about it...and once you take the few minutes to get used to it, it becomes clear that the new system is vastly superior.

its all a matter of workflow. whatever daw has the best workflow for YOU is the best daw. they all do the same thing. i dont get the whole "which is better" nonsense that pops up all the time.
                        http://chaoswyrm.com
                        http://soundcloud.com/chaoswyrm

Comment

With Live, I always used S1 as linear DAW on the side since I hated the arrangement in Live and just couldn't get used to it.
                          That's interesting, I do the same but with Reaper. What do you find so much better in BWS arrangement?
                          Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

• For Ableton Live users: they released 9.5, free upgrade.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9-5/

Comment

• The German Beat magazine has the 8 track version of Bitwig on their latest cover DVD. From what I can gather, it's limited to 8 tracks and only two VSTs per project but has all the effects, instruments etc of the full version.
                              Last edited by GaryG; 11-12-2015, 06:34 AM. Reason: removed comment that could be seen as encouraging people to obtain software through dodgy means...
                              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

• Started out in Pro Tools but switched to Sonar last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X