New Open Source Modular Environment: Integra Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Open Source Modular Environment: Integra Live

Haven't tried this out yet but I found it on Synthtopia this morning and I thought might be interested.

Cheers,

-S1gns

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-integra-live/
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

If it takes off it could replace Reaktor for a lot of people, depending on the quality of modules available for it. :eek:

Comment

Took a look at it but wondering what benefits this might have over any other modular systems.

Looks like it requires a connection to a remote server too - anyone know what that's about?

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
        Took a look at it but wondering what benefits this might have over any other modular systems.

Looks like it requires a connection to a remote server too - anyone know what that's about?
        Are you sure it calls some external IP address?

It is stated at Integra forum:

Currently Integra Live runs as three separate processes: the graphical user interface (GUI), the Integra server, and the Pd audio host. These processes communicate with each other using networking protocols on the local machine. Several ports therefore need to be unblocked in order for the software to work. In a future version of the software all of these components will be combined into a single process and there will no longer be any need to unblock ports
        SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
        Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
        "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post

The term "server" can be used to refer to hardware - "I installed the new server in the rack", and it can refer to a software program providing services - "The SQL server will be down this afternoon". Programmers also use the term to refer to a local process that listens on a TCP/UDP port for requests from another process. This is effectively the same as a full blown software server like SQL Server or Exchange Server, but often only provides services for other processes running on the same machine. From their description, they have several processes on one machine communicating via network sockets. I don't believe this is using an external server,

Comment

OK, found a few items that seem to show it's not a remote server (thanks for the above). I just wondered why it would use a local network, but I guess that's just the way it has been implemented.

Comment

Would make more sense to use a shared memory area rather than passing data through the IP stack. Unless the software was originally designed to run on different physical machines or VMs.
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                Would make more sense to use a shared memory area rather than passing data through the IP stack. Unless the software was originally designed to run on different physical machines or VMs.
                I think it's implied that this will be changed in future versions, or that's how I read it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X