Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valhalla Delay

Hate to be the one to say it but...

...Valhalla Delay is out and (based on an hour with the demo) it's a good'un.

Crap.

I totally ignored the hype, I have over a dozen delays installed, can't possibly need another I thought...

It just sounds so decent and easy to use, laid out well with everything you need to hand. Maybe other units have more controls or routing (Sigmund?) but the the simplicity here means it's more approachable and, well, fun. All the presets are well tuned and show it off to great effect, many of them will be brilliant for ambient. This isn't just a delay either, a diffusion option means some gorgeous pseudo-reverbs in there too. And a choice of frequency or pitch shifting means easy shimmery walls of sound.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalladelay/

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Oh dear... And only fifty bucks
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Valhalla DSP appears in almost everything I've ever done. Shimmer was the first plug ever bought, and UberMod is probably one of my most used.

I've been waiting for this.

Comment

i could easily get this and use and enjoy it - but I wont. Instead I will stick with BlueCat Late Replies as my main delay as it pretty much does more than I can ever explore - but if did not have late replies I would most likely add this to my Valhalla collection
        BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Yeah, I don't think any of us (making generalisations based on the kind of music we do etc etc) *really* need this, sure we're covered already in some form (other plugs, reaktor ensembles, max etc).

But... it's so nicely laid out and packaged as well as sounding great. I guess nobody really needs another guitar but sometimes you pick one up that's tokenly the same as the ones you already have (six strings, made of wood, pickups) but there's something about it that clicks with you. I think VD (I don't think I'll be using that abbreviation again...) is like that.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
            Yeah, I don't think any of us (making generalisations based on the kind of music we do etc etc) *really* need this, sure we're covered already in some form (other plugs, reaktor ensembles, max etc).

But... it's so nicely laid out and packaged as well as sounding great. I guess nobody really needs another guitar but sometimes you pick one up that's tokenly the same as the ones you already have (six strings, made of wood, pickups) but there's something about it that clicks with you. I think VD (I don't think I'll be using that abbreviation again...) is like that.
            totally - and valhalla is a quality company. I am trying to resist software for new microphones - which are incredibly expensive
            eg http://nevaton.eu/product/nevaton-mc...er-microphone/

Comment

another good thing about Valhalla stuff is it never needs to be an impulse buy; same low price today as tomorrow, next year, and on.

nice tools, no pressure

ps. I have no willpower. it's a delay for goodness sakes, what was I supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                I am trying to resist software for new microphones - which are incredibly expensive

Expensive, yes, but this is your area of expertise, is it not, so I think you consider it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                  i could easily get this and use and enjoy it - but I wont.
                  I'm thinking the same, right now, and, as aoVI says, this plugin will be $50 forever.

Instead, I have deiced that I should spend more time exploring the power of Timeless. Might be trickier to use but I already have it. And I should be ashamed of myself for never going beyond a simple ping pong delay ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Expensive, yes, but this is your area of expertise, is it not, so I think you consider it worth it?
                    your argument compels me

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

I'm thinking the same, right now, and, as aoVI says, this plugin will be $50 forever.

Instead, I have deiced that I should spend more time exploring the power of Timeless. Might be trickier to use but I already have it. And I should be ashamed of myself for never going beyond a simple ping pong delay
                      Funny you say that, I'm having the same internal debate but with Sandman Pro. A great delay to mess around with but I've never really got to grips with it at a low level, really should master that delay, could well find it does everything Valhalla Delay does.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post

could well find it does everything Valhalla Delay does.
                        Ah, yes... But... We will never know for sure haha! And so there the problem lies!

We just have to be strong and fight the compulsion!

Comment

I think the answer to this one is:

- you don't need it
                          - it is fantastic
                          - it will do things that your other delays don't, and/or do some of them more easily and deftly
                          - it will not do everything, and isn't designed to
                          - it will not replace every other delay out there... but it could replace some of them

It's already become my favorite software delay, and possibly my favorite Valhalla plugin (and that's saying a lot). I decided to sell two of my pedals, not just because of Valhalla Delay, but it was the last nail in their coffin, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by falls a star View Post
                            It's already become my favorite software delay, and possibly my favorite Valhalla plugin (and that's saying a lot). I decided to sell two of my pedals, not just because of Valhalla Delay, but it was the last nail in their coffin, so to speak.
                            Just curious, were these pedals for guitar or integrated into your daw/workflow for general purpose duties? I'm currently trying to figure out the best way of using pedals and VSTs with my guitar; hate swapping from twiddling the pedals knobs to clicking around on my laptop. Currently working on a script/methodology in Reaper that would allow me to select and edit VSTs from a midi controller so keeping it mostly physical. Maybe this would be best in the guitar sub-forum, interested how others integrate everything efficiently.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Stupid weather--

There's a strong line of thunderstorms hitting us in 20 minutes, and will take 3-4 hours to pass. I was so looking forward to taking it for a spin. I went and read everything on the Valhalla site while listening to radio spiral last night so haven't done much more than scroll a few presets plinking piano into it.

Shutting down and unplugging, grabbing a drink and watch it roll in (or until it gets ugly). so far it's feels really dramatic. it's all lit up west and north of us right now. strong wind then completely still.

Comment

Working...
                              X