It had to happen.........the Tangerine Dream thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought the 2018 remasters of Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear on CD

Phaedra contains the remaster of the original album tracks, and I think they sound better than earlier CD transcriptions that I have on compilation CDs from the mid to late '90s, (not the Simon Heyworth Definitive Editions, also from the mid '90s). Phaedra also contains 2018 Steven Wilson stereo remixes of "Phaedra" and "Sequent C'", but I haven't yet formed an opinion of these, relative to earlier versions.

Rubycon is very interesting. It contains remasters of the original album, together with a new Steven Wilson mix of "Rubycon (extended intro)" which is very different (and a lot longer) than the intro to Rubycon Part 1 on the original album.

Stratosfear contains the original album remastered, promo single edits of the title track and "The Big Sleep in Search of Hades". It also features the 35 minute "Coventry Cathedral (original film soundtrack)". This is NOT the performance of Ricochet that was used by the BBC as the soundtrack for the Coventry Cathedral film on a documentary way back in the '70s but a beautiful soundscape that Mellotron lovers will really appreciate.

I'm happy to have found these, and will be making some time to listen to them again in the near future.

Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

• I will have to track down the 2018 versions you mention! The Steven Wilson remixes sound intriguing.

It would also be interesting to hear the Nick Mason mix of Stratosfear.

I read that originally the album was supposed to be named Stratosphere, but the production turned into such a mess that internally they started referring to it as Stratosfear and the name stuck.

I have lately been listening to the latest post-Froese incarnation, the Sessions cds and enjoying them a lot. To a degree it's as if the music has come full circle.
      My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

• From the UK, they can be purchased from www.burningshed.com. I think they ship to the US.

The only Nick Mason mix that I have been able to find is "Invisible Limits" on YT.

I haven't yet formed an opinion of the Wilson remixes vs. the originals, but the Rubycon and Stratosfear disks are worth it just for those extra tracks, and my vinyl is getting old.

Welcome back
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

• Thanks for that link! Besides TD, there are some other interesting items in the store.

(probably not a good thing for me to see at the moment!)

You'll have to let us know about the Wilson remixes. The extra tracks look great.

If you're super into TD you may find Edgar's autobiography to be an interesting read. You can get it directly from the Eastgate shop.

It's good to be back, though I never really spent as much time around here as I wanted to. The site has grown by leaps and bounds! It has been a crazy couple years, especially the last year.

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

• Tangerine Dream’s Debut Album, Electronic Meditation, Gets Cassette Reissue

Electronic Meditation is the only album to feature the lineup of Edgar Froese, Klaus Schulze and Conrad Schnitzler.

Comment

• Barbican Music Library: Tangerine Dream Exhibition Tour

Comment

Working...
              X