The art of chainmaille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of chainmaille

I'm so glad we have this section of the forum!!! While music is and has always been my passion...art (in many different forms) has been interwoven into the very core of my being for as long as I can remember. I love to express myself in everything I do in life...be it in my music or other things I happen to come upon that I find interesting. One of those "interests" of mine happens to be the art of chainmaille jewelry. Yeah, that's right! Knights and armor and stuff!!! While the roots are still the same dating back well over a thousand years ago, modern day chainmaille jewelry is beautiful twist on the ancient art.

About a year and a half ago, after discovering this wonderful world of metal, I decided I wanted to learn how to make it. Of course...like anything I do in life...I taught myself by learning on the internet. My goal was simple...replicate the weaves I wanted, perfect the craft, and (hopefully) make good enough pieces that I'd be able to sell them. Within a few months I was up and running and had opened my own Etsy shop. Below are some examples of my work. I thought it might be neat to share them with you all so you could see another side of me...and learn a little bit more about me in the process.

Enjoy!!! If you have any questions...sound off in the comments below. :thumbsup:

Cheers!!!!!!

-S1gns

Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

That is awesome!

Comment

Awesome! I am very intrigued just with the pictures!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86187588...ille-stainless <--- Definitely going to buy this! This is f-ing wicked looking!

I think i'll be buying some of your amazing work in the near future!
      -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Comment

Originally posted by V0RT3X View Post
        Awesome! I am very intrigued just with the pictures!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86187588...ille-stainless <--- Definitely going to buy this! This is f-ing wicked looking!

I think i'll be buying some of your amazing work in the near future!
        No dude, YOU are awesome!!!!!!!!!! That's a really sick looking guy necklace, for sure! Just say the word and I'll bust out my pliers and start weaving!

By the way, I only work in stainless steel...which means my pieces never rust and are SUPER durable...just in case you were wondering! :rockon:
        Synphaera Records
        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

This is kinda making me want to get back into chainmaille!

I usually worked in anodized aluminum or sterling silver, though, so no competition here! ;)

Comment

I've gotta get me one of those bracelet things...the one for my health tag is toast.!!!

Beautiful workmanship!!

Comment

S1gns has inspired me to get back into making chainmaille. :tu:

I'm in the middle of trying to find my pliers and rings, though. They're buried DEEP in my basement somewhere. We've moved since I was involved in chainmaille at all, and I didn't really think I'd get back into it, so I wasn't worried about where my stuff was.

But I've changed my mind, and I'm even wearing one of my old pieces now. :biggrin:

I mostly use anodized aluminum and Sterling Silver, so what I make is different from what S1gns does. I also mostly make bracelets, though I've done a few Sterling necklaces, too.

I've also been known to use copper, brass, and stainless, but much less. I love the beauty of anodized aluminum and and I love how light it is compared to other materials.

Here are a few of my pieces:
              blueaababtb.jpghp4earringsgoldsterling.jpgenigma01.jpgenigmaearrings.jpgbag.jpgrainbowcelticstar.jpgturquoiseaabai4-1.jpgturqaabagridlockbyz.jpgredaabahp3bracelet.jpgredaababyzbracelet.jpgpurpleaabahp3bracelet.jpgpurpleaabahelm.jpgpurpleaabagridliockbyz.jpgpinke4in1hp3.jpggreenaabavb.jpggreenaababoxnecklace.jpggoldaabaspiralwrap.jpgstretchysamples.jpg

Here was the first piece I ever did. 22ga, 3/32" Sterling Silver rings:
              special.jpg

Comment

Yay!!! I'm so honored to be the one to have rekindled your burning desire to make chainmaille again because your stuff is so good!!! We have similar tastes in weaves as well...and I can see we probably have a few things to learn from each other!

Looking forward to seeing your progress! Don't forget about us little people when you become a successful Etsy shop owner!!! :biggrin:
                Synphaera Records
                Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Thank you.

Here's where I learned most of what I've learned: M.A.I.L., and of course I've expanded on what that site taught me.

I've noticed that you also call it "chainmaille" rather than "chainmail" the way the uninitiated spell it.

It's a very relaxing hobby, which is at odds with it's not-so-humble beginnings.

Do you like Renaissance fairs? We have a pretty large one in the Twin Cities. I haven't been in years, mostly because Mark really didn't enjoy when I took him. I had ulterior reasons for going that time, though; I loaded up my wrists with my wares and walked around, hoping that someone would want to buy some from me. Probably not a very good idea. :blush:

BTW, I'm wearing the very first bracelet that I showed above. I think that's my favorite. I just love Byzantine!

Comment

I've actually never been to a renaissance fair! It's so backwards, I know...but that's too bad Mark had a bad time!!! I would have loved to go! :razz: That site it great...I've learned so much there too! Not-so-humble beginnings is an understatement! I thought I was going crazy when I started...then, slowly but surely you just start to just "get it."
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I found my rings! :biggrin:

I hardly have any rubber rings, though, so I'm definitely going to have to get more of those so I can make more stretchy bracelets (my most popular item).

I'm also going to need to buy quite a few more anodized and bright aluminum rings. The bulk of what I have is stainless and brass. I also have more Sterling than I thought I had, but I'm not sure where my tiny pliers are for working with those, so I'll have to buy a couple more pair.

I have no idea what Mark has done with my large pliers. I use those for my stainless rings, but I don't plan on working too much with stainless, so I'm not too worried about finding those right away.

The biggest thing that Mark was hoping I'd find was my scales. He needs those to weigh plastic resin for casting. They weren't with my rings, but I did find them.

I want to make a new purse, so those bright aluminum rings will come in handy when I order them. I'm waiting to see if I still qualify for wholesale pricing where I get my aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
                        I found my rings! :biggrin:

I hardly have any rubber rings, though, so I'm definitely going to have to get more of those so I can make more stretchy bracelets (my most popular item).

I'm also going to need to buy quite a few more anodized and bright aluminum rings. The bulk of what I have is stainless and brass. I also have more Sterling than I thought I had, but I'm not sure where my tiny pliers are for working with those, so I'll have to buy a couple more pair.

I have no idea what Mark has done with my large pliers. I use those for my stainless rings, but I don't plan on working too much with stainless, so I'm not too worried about finding those right away.

The biggest thing that Mark was hoping I'd find was my scales. He needs those to weigh plastic resin for casting. They weren't with my rings, but I did find them.

I want to make a new purse, so those bright aluminum rings will come in handy when I order them. I'm waiting to see if I still qualify for wholesale pricing where I get my aluminum.
                        YAY!!! It's on!!!!!!!! That is so awesome. Now all you gotta do is find a nice space to work (away from cats, close to a computer so you don't leave us! :tv and start building up your inventory!!!

So weighing plastic for resin casting? Not sure if I know what you mean. Elaborate! Sounds interesting...

Oh and what "qualifies" one for wholesale...previous sales or how much you order?!
                        Synphaera Records
                        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I have a tiny amount of space in front of my interface under my monitor that I'll be using for maille.

There's plastic resin for casting that needs to be weighed to get the correct proportions of A+B resin and hardener. We haven't done it yet because I hadn't been able to find my scales, but we plan on doing some resin casting for movie props. Some from existing franchises like Star Wars and Doctor Who, and some original work, either to sell on eBay or to small production companies and individuals to put into low-budget films and videos.

I don't have a website set up yet, but once we have more time we'll be starting a company for prop making.

As for wholesale, it's the amount of merchandise that you've purchased from them. I don't remember if I've spend $2000 with them over the time that I was selling, but that's the magic number. You also need to have a company with a Tax ID. I have one set up under my name for my artistic endeavors.

Comment

This new purse of mine is going to take forever. I might have it done by summer, if at all with this weave.

I may need to go with bigger rings. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a 45° seam with these tiny rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
                              This new purse of mine is going to take forever. I might have it done by summer, if at all with this weave.

I may need to go with bigger rings. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a 45° seam with these tiny rings.
                              Tiny?! How tiny are we talking?!? Tinier than 7/32's?!?!
                              Synphaera Records
                              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Working...
                              X