Game changers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game changers

There are some instruments/effects/etc that become real game changers for music we create.
    Powerful tool can expand all ways of expression in our music.

My list of (r)evolutional steps (in random order):

* ValhallaRoom
    * iZotope Iris
    * M-RGT Ambitron
    * MMultibandReverb
    * PhotoSounder
    * SpectrumWorx
    * HG Fortune's synths
    * Audiobulb Ambient
    * Reaktor (it opened the whole universe of great ensembles for me)
    * ValhallaShimmer

What is your list of game changers?
    SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
    Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
    "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

This could be an interesting thread. Here's my list in the order in which they occurred to me:

- Sonic Charge: MicroTonic2 (the version where morphing was introduced)
    - Camel Audio: Cameleon 5000
    - Audio Damage: Automaton
    - Linplug: Cronox 3 (the version which introduced morphable filter-types - yes, I like morphing :D )
    - Valhalla DSP: UberMod
    - Sonic Charge: Permut8
    - AnarchySounds software: Anarchy FX suite (particularly Spectral AutoPan)
    - AnarchySounds software: Anarchy Rhythms
    My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
    Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Game changers... let's see a little more personal on my list. :-)

* realizing at such a young age I liked to "just play" piano more than what the teacher wanted me to play. (1970's)

* the rented gigantic Clarion 4-track cassette deck we'd get for a week at a time (and rented Korg Super Drums and Super Percussion) (1984-1986 era)

* buying my first synth - a Siel DK-600 - a weird mix of digital with analog (1985)

* buying my korg dss-1 synth and korg sdd-1200 dual delay in 1987 - both I still have and both are very much part of my sound

* learning controlled feedback loops with my peavey xr-600 head and pounding on it to make the reverb springs rattle

* due to lots of reasons - picking up bass and finding it really was part of me like a piano is (1989)

fast forward...

* computer? music? giant tape deck in a computer? holy cow! several apps before finding Vegas 1 and Vegas 2.0 which i used for years (1996-2005)

* mp3.com - where so many things started for me - meeting and connecting with all those other people that like ambient - some friends i still have (2000 ish)

* Fruity Loops - I used 3.0 or 3.5 for so long it's ridiculous - I miss it now (I'm all mac now)

* doing sub.terra on The Foundry label - having Vidna Obmana, Saul Stokes, M Bentley remix my material? Wow. how fantastic... and my first project that was fully "mine" on actual CD. (I had a remix prior on a Hypnos cd).

* my days co-owning AtmoWorks and then launching Relaxed Machinery - so many good friends, connections, so much good music - joining AtmoWorks - leaving AtmoWorks - launching Relaxed Machinery all three were major game changers in different ways for me personally

* Biggest game changer? digital... cdbaby, bandcamp - huge change in getting my music and my artist's music to ears, and getting other people's music into my ears. Total unstoppable game changer.
      owner / artist
      relaxed machinery - organic .: ambient :. techno
      http://relaxedmachinery.com
      open creative community: https://ello.co/elloambient

Comment

Playing in a band with a Mellotron back in the '80s. That gave us such a big live sound. Now I use VSTis for those sounds, but they can still make the hairs on the back of my neck tingle.
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Could be Tracktion for me.

Had dabbled with a few DAWs before but when it came along a decade ago, it kind of proved I *could* do what I wanted/imagined on a computer. Before that I felt all the more traditional DAWs (cubase etc) were just extensions of the hardware recorders I'd used before without the patchability. Tracktion showed me you could be just as experimental with patching etc. And obviously without the limits of hardware (woo, six reverbs in a row... )

Shame it never kept pace on the development front though hopefully it will rise again once the current 'catch up' is done.

Another changer was reading an interview with *someone* (wish I could remember who...) in the early 90s who was making music purely with feedback techniques (inputless mixer stuff). Finally got me out of the 'instrument/sound generator into effects' paradigm, it's legitimate to just mess around with effects and process the inherent noise if it's what does it for you etc.
          Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Everything Spectrasonics make. Kontakt, Reaktor, Rob Papen's stuff, Massive, Altiverb and Dubdelay plugins, Guitar Rig.
            Music for Modern People
            Soundcloud
            - Bandcamp - Facebook

Comment

70's = morley wah volumepedal, ARPAxxe, 2-track cassette recorders, a book on recent classical music, the name of which I can't remember, realising guitars could be tuned to anything at all
              80's = 4 track reel to reel, Yamaha DX21
              90's = convolution, field recorder (mini disc)
              00's = Kontakt, AdamA7 monitors to finally hear things,this made a huge difference, good headphones Beyer DT250's, Jackson guitar with sustainiac pickup, Reaper-shouldnt underestimate this. Adobe Audition- shouldn't underestimate this one either
              BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
                This could be an interesting thread. Here's my list in the order in which they occurred to me:

- Sonic Charge: MicroTonic2 (the version where morphing was introduced)
                - Camel Audio: Cameleon 5000
                - Audio Damage: Automaton
                - Linplug: Cronox 3 (the version which introduced morphable filter-types - yes, I like morphing :D )
                - Valhalla DSP: UberMod
                - Sonic Charge: Permut8
                - AnarchySounds software: Anarchy FX suite (particularly Spectral AutoPan)
                - AnarchySounds software: Anarchy Rhythms
                thanks for that mention of anarchysounds-I'd never heard of them and they look pretty interesting
                BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Octatrack - the single most versatile piece of gear I own.
                  OP-1 - the most inspiring, and quite versatile. Easily stands on it's own, too.
                  EWI 4000S - a self-contained wind instrument that I can play expressively and record easily (no mics, pres, etc)
                  Five12 Numerology - software. yo dawg, I heard you like step sequencers. so I made you a sequencer that you can modulate with sequencers so you can sequence your sequencers with sequences.
                  Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisM View Post
                    Octatrack - the single most versatile piece of gear I own.
                    OP-1 - the most inspiring, and quite versatile. Easily stands on it's own, too.
                    EWI 4000S - a self-contained wind instrument that I can play expressively and record easily (no mics, pres, etc)
                    Five12 Numerology - software. yo dawg, I heard you like step sequencers. so I made you a sequencer that you can modulate with sequencers so you can sequence your sequencers with sequences.
                    A hardware guy! Very nice. I assume you'd be using Numerology to control all that luscious hardware?

I'm a huge fan of Numerology. Been using it for years and on the beta team for N4. In touch with Jim from Five12 and going to hopefully get him on the ambient online podcast sometime soon! :tu:

Cheers and welcome to the forum Kris!

-S1gns
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

First game changer was the introduction to ambientonline.org - thanks S1gns.

Second would be spending the time to learn how to use Ableton Live. The creative possibilities using just the built-in sounds and effects are great, but I also use Valhalla Room and Shimmer, Nomad Factory Magma, and Fabfilter effects. The sampler in Live Suite is good enough for my needs, so I rarely use Kontakt for anything other than playback of existing library sounds.

Third would be getting a decent controller. I'm now playing automation instead of drawing it. It's a lot easier and more expressive. I'm using an Arturia Keylab 49 with Live. It has Live mappings out of the box; volume, expression, and breathe controller inputs; lots of knobs and faders; and even after-touch.

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                        A hardware guy! Very nice. I assume you'd be using Numerology to control all that luscious hardware?

I'm a huge fan of Numerology. Been using it for years and on the beta team for N4. In touch with Jim from Five12 and going to hopefully get him on the ambient online podcast sometime soon! :tu:

Cheers and welcome to the forum Kris!

-S1gns
                        Thanks for the welcome I love Numerology, but the Octatrack is my sequencer (no computers allowed on my table :D ). I keep it installed on my MacBook Air because there are times when it's all I have with me, and it's still an amazing 'DAW' of sorts. Can't wait for 4 to drop.
                        Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciberithm View Post
                          First game changer was the introduction to ambientonline.org - thanks S1gns.
                          No doubt!!! That's what this site is here for...the game changer for ambient folks. To offer so much variety and inspiration that anyone who comes across the words that lie within these forums is permanently changed...forever! :thumbsup:

That's the goal anyway...but it's nice to hear about those who we actually connect with.

Cheers my friend!
                          -S1gns
                          Synphaera Records
                          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

For me, Ableton Live and the realization that my music is my OWN to make :D
                            Sonic connoisseur and explorer of aural dimensions

www.introspectral.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/IntroSpectral

Comment

here's some guideline on Ableton http://downloads.ableton.com/misc/ma...guidelines.pdf
                              good cheap vacuum

Comment

Working...
                              X