Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars

Instead of a plugin.. I decided to save up and buy this guitar.

I also want to save up and buy the POD HD500 pedal to go with it.. Im pretty stoked.

Anyone else here buying a new guitar or guitar related gear next?
    -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

So many strings...

I'm an awful conventional player so really just use mine as a sound source for ambient textures etc so not that fussed about the tone etc (more concerned with shape and colour )

However, finding the cheap-ish strat copy I have a little unsatisfying for some reason so looking at alternatives, maybe one of those Squier Jazzmasters (extra bit of string behind the bridge to play with) or even something like a baritone (have a lot more fun on the lower strings than the top ones )

Would like to get a bass again at some point.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I don't suppose you would happen to know a good VST that produces the same guitar sound as the one "New Order" have? I don't play the thing myself..never learned..so I can't tell you what make it is or anything like that..but you might be able to tell from the video linked below..

..it's the one that kicks in at 8 seconds.

I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark kind of question..but I'm hoping such a vst is out there.

Comment

I have a wish list of guitars, which would include a 7 string. I'd probably go for an Ibanez too, but wouldn't go for EMGs (I'm assuming that's what I'm looking at).

I'd also like to get a 6 string with humbuckers (I only have a Telecaster right now), I'd get a resonator, and a 12 string acoustic. Probably a few more and some basses while I'm at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambient Mechanics View Post
          I don't suppose you would happen to know a good VST that produces the same guitar sound as the one "New Order" have?
          That clip is from later on in their career when Barney was back on the Gibsons, 330s I think. Earlier (mid, late 80s) on he used strats a fair bit, think of the brasher sound of State of the Nation etc. There's nothing out of the ordinary with that sound, probably more the amp than the guitar really, maybe a humbucker (ie. not too bright) through a nice bright amp, maybe a fender?

Which doesn't really answer your question...

I guess something like Electri6ity should easily do it with the right amp sim, not cheap but I gather maybe the most versatile instrument out there. Heard a demo of Manytones Manyguitar once that was nice, had a nice strat sound. I guess any fairly clean electric guitar sample set, soundfont etc could do that with the right programming and fx. With guitars, the programming is the hard part...

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
            Originally posted by Ambient Mechanics View Post
            I don't suppose you would happen to know a good VST that produces the same guitar sound as the one "New Order" have?
            That clip is from later on in their career when Barney was back on the Gibsons, 330s I think. Earlier (mid, late 80s) on he used strats a fair bit, think of the brasher sound of State of the Nation etc. There's nothing out of the ordinary with that sound, probably more the amp than the guitar really, maybe a humbucker (ie. not too bright) through a nice bright amp, maybe a fender?

Which doesn't really answer your question...

I guess something like Electri6ity should easily do it with the right amp sim, not cheap but I gather maybe the most versatile instrument out there. Heard a demo of Manytones Manyguitar once that was nice, had a nice strat sound. I guess any fairly clean electric guitar sample set, soundfont etc could do that with the right programming and fx. With guitars, the programming is the hard part...
            Cheers, Gary..at least you've given me a starting point to work from..know what it is I'm looking for is half the battle. Much appreciated, mate. :thumbsup:

Comment

I am still wistfully dreaming of a chicago blue les Paul.

That Ibanez looks like a fun guitar to make some sounds.

Comment

There's only one guitar I desire now (in the last couple of years, thanks to a combination of good luck and my wife's generosity, I've finally acquired a resonator, a Jazzmaster and a Firebird) and that is:

5956-8.jpg

The Ibanez Talman (not the electro-acoustic which they're still making, but this electric model). I wanted one when they first came out, couldn't afford it, the first production run only lasted for a year, then for some reason they ceased manufacture altogether after only four years, making them collectible items pretty much instantly. So now they're very rare, particularly the early resoncast bodies with lipstick pickups. Unless one turns up in a car boot sale (dream on), or Ibanez does a reissue (unlikely, they obviously weren't big sellers), the Talman will be, for me, the one that got away...:daydream:
                My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Hmm, added to my wish list would be a table steel. Not sure I want to go the whole pedal steel route (not just cost, but size too), but it's something I've thought about for a long time. Never played one, but I can play slide guitar, so most of the effort in learning would be different tunings.

Comment

Wow the price has levelled out since I stopped checking EBay. Still, 300quid is a bit much given that I've spent about a grand on geetars this year...worth thinking about next year though...hmmm wonder if I'll get a bonus this Christmas...

By the way, my wife says 'thanks a lot' :biggrin:
                    My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                    Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                      Hmm, added to my wish list would be a table steel. Not sure I want to go the whole pedal steel route (not just cost, but size too), but it's something I've thought about for a long time. Never played one, but I can play slide guitar, so most of the effort in learning would be different tunings.
                      I looked into pedal steels a while ago (I stopped looking when I saw the cost :eek because I love the sound they make. I never knew though, that in addition to the volume swell/string bending pedals, they also have string-bending levers that you control with your knees. I always admired skillful pedal steel players anyway, but my admiration shot up by several notches when I discovered that

Comment

Nice seeing lots of guitar players on here! I am pretty stoked to learn guitar again, because as much as I love synthesizers I think nothing quite beats the sounds of a real guitar. I mostly want the Ibanez 8-string for heavy Industrial-Metal riffs. I probably will try to find ways to use it for industrial soundscapes too since I really think the sounds of scraped strings can do a TON when you want to create organic pad sounds. Actually i thought about looking into a electric Cello, but I think learning Piano, production and guitar is enough for me right now.
                        -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                          I want to build a simple lap steel, nothing too fancy, just enough to add some of that texture to my tracks (thinking Enos Apollo recordings).

I've some tuners and pickups given to me by the late Ian B of KvR so feel I owe it to him to do something worthwhile with them.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Love those last two.

It seems a really 'sensible' evolution of a strat type guitar, comfier body shape, better control layout... don't know why they didn't take off at the time...

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                            X