Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posting SoundCloud, Bandcamp Widgets etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting SoundCloud, Bandcamp Widgets etc.

How to Post tracks at AmbientOnline

a) SoundCloud (individual tracks)

There are currently 3 alternatives offered for posting links to tracks on SoundCloud, but not all of them work correctly.

1) create a normal URL link in the post by clicking on the "Link" button and copy/paste your URL into the dialog which pops up.

clicking on this link will take you to the Soundcloud website in a new tab, where the track can be played.

2) create an embedded widget within a forum post using the [SC][/SC] tags or using the SoundCloud button

Here is an example:-

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/scusername/trackname[/SC]

Currently this creates a flash-player "widget" within your forum post, which could be played directly from this forum. Unfortunately, this is no longer supported by SoundCloud, so the resulting widget is non-functional. This widget also displays a link to the track on Soundcloud, so the track can still be played via the URL, by clicking on it. I don't recommend using this method in the future because it looks untidy.

3) create an embedded widget within a forum post using the [S2][/S2] tags. This procedure is a little more complicated than in the past in that it requires you to get the SoundCloud track id for your track.

[S2]trackid[/S2]

You can find the Track Number when you click on the Share button within SoundCloud. This will popup a dialog containing an Embed button. Click on that and a text box will appear under the Code & preview heading. Somewhere in that box is your trackid (currently my tracks are all 8 or 9 digit numbers) and which immediately follows the string "tracks/". The SoundCloud button in advanced edit mode will now generate the S2 tags for this function, instead of the dysfunctional widget.

These S2-tagged posts have been checked on various platforms, with variable, but mostly good results:-

WinXP with latest Firefox(31/10/2015) - good
    Win7-64 with latest FireFox(31/10/2015) - good
    Win7-64/nVIDIA/Chrome (31/10/2015) - good
    Win7-64/Intel/Chrome(30/10/2015) - functional - no play cursor
    Win7-64/Intel/IE11(30/10/2015) - functional - no waveform or play cursor
    Win7-32/Chrome(01/11/2015) - functional - no play cursor
    Win8/tablet/IE11(01/11/2015) - dysfunctional
    Win10-64/Intel+nVIDIA/Chrome(01/11/2015) good
    Win10-64/Intel+nVIDIA/Edge(01/11/2015) good
    Sony C6603/Android4.4.4/Chrome(30/10/2015) - good
    Asus ME301T/Android4.2.1/Chrome(30/10/2015) - good
    Mac/Safari - good

Note: most of the play cursor issues were related to the size of the displayed widget. When I resized the browser window to a larger size, the cursor re-appeared

I was unable to check my Linux machine at work, because the Flash plugin no longer works under FireFox. I'll check my Centos laptop next weekend.

b) SoundCloud playlist

There are currently 2 alternatives offered for posting SoundCloud playlists, but the first of these doesn't work anymore. I am only documenting it for historical interest, if that is the right terminology.

1) create an embedded widget within a forum post using the [SCPL][/SCPL] tags

[SCPL]playlistid[/SCPL]

Currently this creates a flash-player "widget" within your forum post, which could be played directly from this forum. Unfortunately, this is no longer supported by SoundCloud, so the resulting widget is non-functional. This widget also displays a link to the track on Soundcloud, so the track can still be played via the URL, by clicking on it. I don't recommend using this method in the future because it looks untidy.

2) create an embedded playlist widget within a forum post using the [SCPL2][/SCPL2] tags. This procedure is a little more complicated than in the past in that it requires you to get the SoundCloud playlist id for your track.

[SCPL2]playlistid[/SCPL2]

You can find the Playlist Number when you click on the Share button within SoundCloud. This will popup a dialog containing an Embed button. Click on that and a text box will appear under the Code & preview heading. Somewhere in that box is your playlistid (currently my playlists are all 8 digit numbers, but I imagine that 9-digit ids will also exist) and which immediately follows the string "playlists/". We don't have a dedicated button for this function. I'm still thinking about this.

c) BandCamp

There are currently 4 alternatives available for posting links to albums or tracks on BandCamp.

1) Create normal URL links to Bandcamp, you can click the "Link" button and copy/paste your URL into the dialog which pops up. This link will not be playable directly from AmbientOnline, but will take you to the BandCamp website in a new tab, where the album or track specified can be played.

2) Create an embedded album player within a forum post using the [BC][/BC] tags. This tag is actually broken, but if I were to fix it, all existing links to BandCamp tracks would break, so I'm going to continue using it. Although the tag is broken, it does work, and embeds the correct HTML code.

[BC=albumid]http://artistname.bandcamp.com/album/albumbname[/BC]

You can find the Album number when you click on the Share/Embed button on your BandCamp album page. This will popup a dialog containing an Embed this Album button. Click on that and then select any of the styles which are offered. A text box will appear under the Embed heading. In that box is your numeric albumid (immediately following the "album=" string.

3) Create an embedded track player within a forum post using the [BT][/BT] tags. This tag should be used for tracks which are part of a Bandcamp album.

[BT=albumid]trackid[/BT]

You can find the Album number when you click on the Share/Embed button on your BandCamp album page. This will popup a dialog containing an Embed this Album button. Click on that and then select any of the styles which are offered. A text box will appear under the Embed heading. Somewhere in that box is your numeric albumid (immediately following the "album=" string. The numeric trackid can be found in the same text box, immediately following the "track=" string.

4) Create an embedded track player within a forum post using the [BT2][/BT2] tags. This tag should be used for tracks which are NOT part of a Bandcamp album.

[BT2]trackid[/BT2]

You can find the track number when you click on the Share/Embed button on your BandCamp track page. This will popup a dialog containing an Embed this Track button. Click on that and then select any of the styles which are offered. A text box will appear under the Embed heading. Somewhere in that box is your numeric trackid (immediately following the "track=" string.

d) ReverbNation

1) Create an embedded track player within a forum post using the [rn][/rn] tags.

[rn=artistnumber]songnumber[/rn]

The artistnumber and songnumber can be found by selecting the embed tab within the share option on ReverbNation.

e) Hearthis.at

1) Create an embedded track player within a forum post using the [ha][/ha] tags

[ha]trackid[/ha]

You can find the Track Number when you click on the Embed button within Hearthis.at. The Embed popup contains a text box underneath the "waveform" display. The Trackid appears in the src attribute immediately following the string "embed/". My Trackids are currently all 5 or 6-digit numbers, but future tracks may contain 7 digits or more.

f) Hearthis.at Setlist

1) Create an embedded setlist player within a forum post using the [has][/has] tags

[has]setlist-id[/has]

You can find the Track Number when you click on the </> Embed in your website button on your setlist page. The Embed popup contains a text box underneath the "waveform" display. The Setlist id appears in the src attribute immediately following the strings /set/ and /embed/ and seems to consist of 2 numbers separated by a hyphen

g) Mixcloud

1) Create an embedded track player within a forum post using the [mc][/mc] tags

[mc=trackname]artistname[/mc]

You can find the trackname and artistname when you click on the Embed button for the track within Mixcloud.

This covers the most popular bases, but I hope to expand upon this list in the near future. I think we may have a tag for ccMixter too. I'll add it to this post when I get some time.

Anybody who has tracks already posted using the old [SC][/SC] tags is welcome to edit their posts to use the new [S2][/S2] tags. I just changed a couple of mine, to verify that it works.
    Last edited by seismic1; 01-01-2019, 04:47 PM.
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

When trying to post a bandcamp link I get the errors "BB code BC is not allowed" or "BB code BT is not allowed"

Comment

I just tried one. It worked for me.

Take a look at this thread:-

http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...rack-post-test
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Ah, I see, doesn't work in the group area, but does in the main forums.

Trying to post a link in a group discussion.

No worries.
        Last edited by aoVI; 08-21-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

The ability to post YT videos to groups appears to have been added in VBulletin 3.7.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...a-social-group

Vbulletin 4.0 (Dec 2009) was the first new release which appeared to support embedded video properly. I think we currently have v4.2.2 which is almost 3 years old. I can't really understand why Groups are unable to see the embed codes, unless the groups functionality is a controlled by a separate compiled binary, or groups themselves are merely a bolt-on which isn't integrated with the forum code

Comment

When I make a post, there's no SoundCloud link button anywhere. The only Link button is the standard generic Link button.
            Voxonitus on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/voxonitus
            Voxonitus on Bandcamp: https://voxonitus.bandcamp.com/
            Voxonitus on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Voxonitus

Comment

So you can't post a bandcamp link in the recommended listing section of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by artao View Post
                When I make a post, there's no SoundCloud link button anywhere. The only Link button is the standard generic Link button.
                To use the Soundcloud button, you need to be in Advanced edit mode (via Toggle Advanced Editor button). The SoundCloud button is the blank button. Alternatively, you can use the S2 tag.

Comment

Originally posted by withouth8 View Post
                  So you can't post a bandcamp link in the recommended listing section of the forum?
                  The BT tag should work

Comment

Perhaps the OP could be updated to include other newer tags and also change that yellow text to blue or something else that is readable with all of the forum "skins."

cheers

andy
                    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

The colours have changed. Which newer tags?

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                        The colours have changed. Which newer tags?
                        Just the S3 tags Tim, as discussed in that other post, but I realise now that they are not official so just the colour change is fine, thanks

Comment

I just flipped S2 and S3. Any posts containing S3 tags will now display the larger widget. These can be fixed by editing the post to use S2.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                            I just flipped S2 and S3. Any posts containing S3 tags will now display the larger widget. These can be fixed by editing the post to use S2.
                            Okay Tim, thanks for letting us know. I will do my best to spread the word.

​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Guys. What is the current way to embed a soundcloud track on this forum please. None of the above is working for me sadly.

Ignore. Windspace helped me out
                              Last edited by YelloCat; 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM.
                              YelloCatshugmonkey A.K.A Agents of Rush Agents of Rush Bandcamp shugmonkey Bandcamp

Comment

Working...
                              X