Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a dream ... about new and never heard sounds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a dream ... about new and never heard sounds!

There must be more! There even must be more!

After digging around with virtual modular synthesizers, granular effects, classic subtractive synthesis, ring- and frequency-modulation, comb-filters, pitch-shifters, sample-morphing, karplus-strong modelling and all that other methods for sound creation I strongly believe and I'm sure there must be even more that is not discovered or invented yet.

And I want to bring my unheard visions of all that phantastic sounds into our all audible reality!

At the moment I don't know, how ... but I know I have to do it :thumbsup:
    ahornberg.bandcamp.com
    soundcloud.com/ahornberg

You can come work with me on my atmospheric resonator project.

So far I have a 400 meter tall bottle and when the wind blows it makes a sound that travels throughout the world. It's been heard in Swansea, UK and British Columbia.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
      There must be more! There even must be more!

After digging around with virtual modular synthesizers, granular effects, classic subtractive synthesis, ring- and frequency-modulation, comb-filters, pitch-shifters, sample-morphing, karplus-strong modelling and all that other methods for sound creation I strongly believe and I'm sure there must be even more that is not discovered or invented yet.

And I want to bring my unheard visions of all that phantastic sounds into our all audible reality!

At the moment I don't know, how ... but I know I have to do it :thumbsup:
      Can't wait to hear them!

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post

So far I have a 400 meter tall bottle and when the wind blows it makes a sound that travels throughout the world. It's been heard in Swansea, UK and British Columbia.
        So...all those YouTube videos of alien sounds in the sky are attributable to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post

So...all those YouTube videos of alien sounds in the sky are attributable to you?
          Haha ... let's make music with flying saucers :D
          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I dunno... The kind of weirdness that comes out of Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch never ceases to amaze me... That's before you start running the stretched samples through other effects...
            >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

Maybe we start building indeed some superduper insane instruments, like the Lyra used on some Michael Stearns works - and other such physical contraptions
              But yep, I think UFOs would come quite handy, pity that so far only the EEG waves of people who claim to have seen them might be of some interest (when transposed to audible range) :P
              http://levente.bandcamp.com/
              http://levente.fourfour.com/discography
              https://soundcloud.com/levente-toth-2
              http://routenote.com/r/Levente

Comment

Originally posted by Levente View Post
                Maybe we start building indeed some superduper insane instruments
                Don't think I have room for a full Blaster Beam, maybe one of those smaller things (anti-tank gun?) from a few years ago.

Then we could battle the rogue sound waves coming from the Gulf of Mexico (approximate location our intel suggests). Would probably end in a planet-shattering standing wave somewhere over the mid-atlantic but, hey ho, needs must.
                Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I am still haunted by an early Woody Allen standup joke, where he said that in his student years, during wild parties, they listened to vinyl recordings of Marcel Marceau
                  The concept of an audio recording of a mime artist is superb - John Cage, eat your heart out
                  http://levente.bandcamp.com/
                  http://levente.fourfour.com/discography
                  https://soundcloud.com/levente-toth-2
                  http://routenote.com/r/Levente

Comment

On a more serious note, I don't think anyone ever could discover a totally new sound sound..basically due to the fact you'd need to know EVER sound that can be made already, in order to know you have found a new one. I know this sounds like I'm splitting hairs here, but it's true..you might find something new relative to yourself and your own experiences, but for all you know it might already be a well-known sound on the other side of the world, known by millions.

I think all anyone can do is experiment and hope for the best, but even then..whatever you come up with, I bet somebody will say it reminds them of some other sound, which..to my mind anyway..kinda defeats the whole point in the first place. I mean, you want your new sound to be just that..totally new..not something that's going to sound like something else to others when they hear it.

It's an epic task..even though we joke about it here..one I don't think anyone is ever going to manage..sorry.

Comment

I tend to steer towards familiar sounds rather than trying to discover new ones. While I design most all of my own synth sounds, I tend to use just a handful regularly. I have owned a DX7 since 1987 and got decent at programming it--yet programmed less than (maybe) 4 full banks of sounds in all the years I had it.

My challenge is to place familiar sound into new relationships, and not all of them good. :D

Comment

I tend to steer towards familiar sounds rather than trying to discover new ones. While I design most all of my own synth sounds, I tend to use just a handful regularly. I have owned a DX7 since 1987 and got decent at programming it--yet programmed less than (maybe) 4 full banks of sounds in all the years I had it.

My challenge is to place familiar sound into new relationships, and not all of them good. :D
                        Yeah..got to agree with you on this..I think it's more about how you work with the sounds that are out there, more than trying to come up with new ones. Sometimes the olds sounds are the best for evoking the feeling you hope to capture in your piece..and the juxtaposing of the old can sometimes lead to something that sounds new, when you get the balance just right; basically, it all just works and sounds great.

Comment

Take track. Put Kaleidoscope on the Master. Bam, new sound :D
                          Meh.

Comment

So much response and discussion here!
                            ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                            soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Now I got time to write my 2 cents to this really interesting discussion:

Yes, discovering totally new sounds might not be possible, because every sound sounds a bit similar some another sounds. And placing familiar sounds into new relationships is one way to go. I think, the reason why "old sounds are the best" might be that we grew up with this sounds. I grew up, from my earliest days on, listening to the radio. And now, every time I listen to a number-one-hit from 1967 to about 1973 I feel "aaaah", even on country-songs like Snowbird or so.

Maybe alienating existing sound is another way to go. I played around with Kaleidoscope for a while. I like to have a playable instrument that does the Kaleidoscope-thing.

But one thing I know for sure: I need to learn more about digital audio processing to create my own instruments. There are things like the Fourier-Transformation or the Karplus-Strong Algorithm that I want to understand in detail so that I can use them properly.

So thank you for all your opinions and ideas!
                              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Working...
                              X