Theremin Pros/cons, learning curve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theremin Pros/cons, learning curve?

So, I've been considering getting myself a gesture based instrument. I've looked into MIDI gloves, various iPhone apps, and the Leap Motion device, but have been rather unsatisfied with the current "cutting-edge" technologies.

Then came my introduction to the good old, two antenna theremin. I've been watching various how-tos and performances regarding it's usage, and am wondering if a more experienced user could give me a pro/con list so that I can see what I'm getting myself into before I drop $300-$400 on an entry level instrument.

I understand that there are certain limitations to the sounds one can produce, but plan to hook it up to a multi-effects processor, and am comfortable editing the end result in my DAW of choice (audacity.)
    https://soundcloud.com/jacobmichaelpeterwelch/on-the-other-side

I tried one once and could only get random, whooping noises out of it so be prepared for a learning curve.

Can't offer much advice beyond that though remember the latest Moog model (fairly cheap) has new features like pitch quantization and MIDI out so could be a cool controller if mastered.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
      Can't offer much advice beyond that though remember the latest Moog model (fairly cheap) has new features like pitch quantization and MIDI out so could be a cool controller if mastered.

Thanks for that, I was looking at an offbrand for $289, but I'm thinking the minimoog might be what I'm looking for at just a modest increase in price. I could definitely see the benefit of built in customizable presets, scalable pitch correction (while I work out the bugs,) and a standard headphone jack. Not to mention the removable pitch antenna for travelling.

Thanks for the tip, I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year!:biggrin:

Comment

looking forward to hearing some results.

We will give you until January 15 to post at least one track.:workingout:

Comment

Moog also offers the "Theremini" for around $300. It features the sound engine from their Animoog iOS app (which I think is awesome BTW…). I think this is the model you are referring to the has pitch quantization, etc. rather than the standard Moog Etherwave theremin. Link to Moog Etherwave Theremin User Manual: http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/defau...ewave_user.pdf
          This manual doesn't mention anything about pitch quantization. So standard learning curve applies!

Link to Moog Theremini demo vid: http://www.moogmusic.com/products/et...mini#demos-tab

Comment

The theremini was the model to which I was referring, and it does have scalable pitch correction.

I understand that many theremin enthusiasts aren't very fond of the theremini, but I think it will do just fine for this guy! I'm always trying to do things a little different and value portability, so this is looking like the way to go for me.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by JMPW View Post
              The theremini was the model to which I was referring, and it does have scalable pitch correction.

I understand that many theremin enthusiasts aren't very fond of the theremini, but I think it will do just fine for this guy! I'm always trying to do things a little different and value portability, so this is looking like the way to go for me.

Thanks for the reply!
              You're welcome! I am very attracted to the Theremini also

Comment

It was the Theremini I was referring too for the record, availble in the UK for ~£250 which is a pretty decent price point (about the same as a squier standard guitar or a Microbrute synth).
                Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Hi all, I just wanted to chime in here to say that if you are looking for a Theremin, the new Moog Theremini is definitely the way to go. I know many Thereminists are very against the Theremini, but without justification, imho.

The first preset is a traditional theremin sound, and with no quantization or pitch correction, it is using the same analog heterodyning oscillator as a traditional Etherwave theremin and is perfect for the pro thereminist. But, with that preset or the plethora of other presets, you can add as much or as little "correction" as you want, which is perfect for those just starting out. At full correction level, you can not hit a wrong note (but there is noticeable stepping in this mode.)

There is also a Mac/PC/iOS editor that lets you edit the presets and create your own sounds, all based on the Animooog app as mentioned by someone else (and Animoog is an amazingly powerful synth app on it's own.) So I do encourage you to explore the Theremini as it is a wonderful instrument. I own one as well as an older Big Briar Etherwave (before Bob Moog got the rights to his company name back) and the Etherwave is now sitting in the corner sad and lonely...
                  My Music @ ZERO:GENSHI Records
                  Flickr | Youtube | Twitter | Soundcloud

Comment

I also own a Theremini, it is really cool piece of synth. I am sometimes producing samples from it, but the main plan was to play live "solos" during ambient jams.

But I really need to fasten my ass and start serious and regular trainings, maybe during next festival season I will be able to make ambient show with the theremin solos.

Just for fun: my cat Lucy flying on a Theremini in space.
                    Attached Files

Comment

extra AO points for including a relevant catpic in a thread.

Comment

Maybe you could get in touch with Chris Conway? He can do all kinds of wacky spaciness with a theremin, and these videos he explains and demonstrates a few things. I've met him and he's a nice guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6rB...ature=youtu.be
                        https://thegreatschizm.bandcamp.com

Comment

thanks for good inspiration mate!

Comment

Working...
                          X