• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Monotrons/Volcas?

Anyone have any opinions on these?
    D.N.P...Dona Nobis Pacem...Grant us Peace
    D.N.P web presence

Apologies, this is in the wrong section again. Thanks tapatalk. Sorry I don't know how to move or delete this thread. Grr!
    D.N.P web presence

Comment

Moved

P.S.-You can delete a post using the "Edit Post" icon at the bottom of each post frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
        Moved

P.S.-You can delete a post using the "Edit Post" icon at the bottom of each post frame.
        Thanks, will have a look for it
        D.N.P web presence

Comment

Originally posted by D.N.P View Post
          Anyone have any opinions on these?
          Not on the Volca's since I don't have them and never used them.

I do, however, own a Monotron Duo.
          Some great sounds are possible BUT limited since it has no envelope for volume or filter and no midi input. - Which is to be expected at this price range.
          If you plug it into an effect chain the thing really comes alive. I have used it with a guitar multi-effects pedal and with VST plugin effects. I have even used it with both.
          Basically you can make up for the lack of envelopes on the monotron by using an auto-filter (e.g. wah-wah pedal) and/or a gate. Most DAWs come with these built in, so the problem of lack of envelopes on the monotron is easily solved, in my oppinion.

Playing on the built in keyboard on the monotron is difficult due to size (but possible) and you are limited by octave range. But I have produced some really kickass basslines from it.
          Example of what can be played on the monotron (might take a few attempts to get it right). This is me playing the monotron live into Ableton Live, goes through the Live built in Auto-Filter effect and then Head Case (VST plugin) for amp and cabinet. Cannot remember what I used for reverb.
          Drums are samples playing in Ableton Live.
          http://www.freesound.org/people/AlienXXX/sounds/193884/

Here is a less exciting example of a drone. The monotron output can be a bit noisy, but most of the noise here actually comes from the shitty built-in soundcard on my laptop.
          http://www.freesound.org/people/AlienXXX/sounds/198864/

It really is surprising how many hours you can spend tweaking the knobs on that little thing. If you add effects, it is a world of sound!

The cons against buying a monotron are, in my oppinion:
          - Size, especially if you have big hands
          - Can produce clicks at start and end of sounds. Only happens on some parameter combinations, but does happen and then can be difficult to remove if you are trying to play a part live. - less of an issue on long notes or if you are post-processing the recording.
          - Ouput can be noisy - Although, who is buying this for its sound purity?
          - Don't buy it if you need to be able to modulate the sound on the device (no LFO or Env)
          - Don't buy it if you need midi control.
          - Don't buy it if you want it to produce drum/percussion sounds. Useless for this, as it has no noise generator and no internal Env.

Comment

That's a pretty concise answer AlienXXX Thanks for the info. I'm so tempted to get the duo and delay to link em up. I love my toys!
            D.N.P web presence

Comment

Not what you were asking, but... if you're looking at cheap analog boxes then Amazon have the Gakken SX150 II for silly money, a number of sellers but all less than £20 including postage from Japan...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chugan-Corpo...keywords=sx150

Like a bigger, flimsier Monotron with LFO and envelope. Seems very modifiable too if that's your thing, loads of web pages detailing how to break out it's key connections if you want to expand it (though that goes for the Monotron too).
              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Cheers GaryG I had a look at these too, but a bit concerned over the build quality
                D.N.P web presence

Comment

Yeah, they do sound pretty flimsy/knobs falling off etc. I'm tempted purely for the electronics; they come as a kit you click together so easy to rehouse the pcb in a box with some diy bits and bobs (seq, maybe more oscillators etc). worlds most unstable modular set up.
                  Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by D.N.P View Post
                    Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                    Moved

Thanks, will have a look for it
                    Sorry…should have told WHERE I moved it to...:o

Comment

Working...
                    X