Waldorf Blofeld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waldorf Blofeld

Just picked one up over an Access Virus Ti Snow. Loving it thus far, but there's little bit of menu diving. I've already created a few patches, mainly ambient pads (my fav...) but was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on it.

5 years ago I sold one. Now I have one again - a shadow edition. In the 5 years i've learnt more about synthesis so I probably will get more use out of it now.
    I have no specific tips yet but if you have the Licence SL - I recommend getting this while it's free.
    Makrotulpa - SKON - Blog - Soundcloud

Comment

I plan on getting the License SL at some point, might as well grab that library while I still can for free. I think staying with the analogue models and wavetables is good practice though.

I too have mine in limited Black Edition.

Comment

Licence SL + Spectre seem to be pretty painful but the presets in that bank are beautiful and sound quite different to what you can get from the basic wavetables.
        Makrotulpa - SKON - Blog - Soundcloud

Comment

The sample license is free now!? Darn - I paid good money for it some years ago... But it's worth it... But not the easiest to get to work as I recall...
          Visit me at:
          AmbientLifeforms.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ambient Lifeforms View Post
            The sample license is free now!? Darn - I paid good money for it some years ago... But it's worth it... But not the easiest to get to work as I recall...
            One of the soundset libraries are free. The sample license I believe is still available for purchase only.

Comment

I've had one a while, I bought it second hand and it came with the SL license which was great. Loads of great sounds in the preset libraries I've found but I really don't find it fun to program - I really wish it had a software UI you could use with it like the Virus has.

Comment

Originally posted by danbert75 View Post
                I've had one a while, I bought it second hand and it came with the SL license which was great. Loads of great sounds in the preset libraries I've found but I really don't find it fun to program - I really wish it had a software UI you could use with it like the Virus has.
                Actually there is some software UI you can get for it.

http://www.softknobs.com/content/blo...ditor-083-beta

That one is in beta but it's free. There's a couple others other I think you can pay for - you just load'em up as a VST though like anything else.

I'd have to disagree though unless you had some other kind of presets on your Blofeld. I thought the factory ones were quite uninspiring with the exception of a few ones (Event Horizon Pad, PPGJesus, etc...).

Comment

I got some of the extra sound sets - Exo worlds, space explorer and some of the others. I ditched the original pre-sets and kept those loaded up instead.

I'm Mac based so I don't think I can use that beta. Rekon audio's offering looks good - I might get that if I'm feeling rich at some point. It would certainly help me get more from the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by danbert75 View Post
                    I'm Mac based so I don't think I can use that beta.
                    Bam. http://filthyfilterz.com/

Check out Blowfield - should be able to run it on Mac and I think it's cheaper than Rekon's. PLUS, it runs standalone for when you just wanna create patches and not music. :D

Comment

Oh dear - I bought the reKon audio editor before I saw your reply. Its very good though a lot more expensive than blowfield. I think having it is going to give a whole new lease of life to my Blofeld though

Comment

I sort of miss my Blofeld module, it paired very nicely with my Octatrack.
                        Meh.

Comment

I'm just now getting into more synth hardware stuff, since my role int he band has changed a bit. I'm gonna play my guitar loops through a OP-1 (that I'm buying this week) and a Bastl MicroGranny, and then guitar pedally things for extra ambience. I was thinking of eventually adding a blofeld for some pads, like have it sequenced to a beatstep or something. I am worried that it might be too complex for my stupid head, can anyone say a couple of words on the learning curve?
                          http://soundcloud.com/fcknoise

Comment

For the money, there's not another hardware synth on the market than can compare to Blofeld. You're getting access to an exclusive set of Waldorf wavetables, samples, an arpeggiator, effects, randomizer, three oscillators, over 20 voices, PPG and comb filters all with a nice graphic display. It's not difficult to program although it can be a bit time consuming because of the limited dials and menu diving. It has a very distinct raw and digital sound which is a nice departure from the typical "warm" and "fat" tone most hardware synths shoot for. It can be buggy at times and some of the effects are weak (reverb for example) but again for the price, it's shortcomings are completely tolerable. I don't use this synth very much but it always manages to deliver something unique with time invested.
                            Massergy - Spotted Peccary Music

Comment

The one thing that I feel will keep me away from it is the time consuming programming part. That's the reason I've been moving away from computer based music making. I can't wait to get my OP-1 typ be able to do something that isn't in logic. Bad onboard reverb is no problem att all, I've got my guitar fx for that
                              http://soundcloud.com/fcknoise

Comment

Working...
                              X