Recommendations for studio monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for studio monitors

One of my JBL 4326P has crapped out and I'm looking at replacing the set. Any recommendations? I'd like to spend under $1k if I can. I have the option of repairing it but it is out of warranty and would cost almost as much as the single monitor, which are no longer available.

Thanks, Jim
    Ambient Alchemy
    Twitch
    YouTube

I am a headphone user usually.

On the rare occasion I can use my monitors, I am using 10 year old Monitor Audio S2's, which are fairly solid, but certainly have a color.

Hopefully someone will chime in here soon that has actual information to share:blush:

Comment

The thing is, I guess in the end that's a highly personal choice. I am happy with mine (Focal), but if I had to buy new ones, I'd try and listen to a wider variety before buying. That said I think those 4326s were pretty good? My guess is, you'd have to look into the 1000-1500$/€ range to find something comparable. Things to consider when buying: what size is your room, what are your needs concerning accurate representation of bass frequencies, etc... The usual suspects here in Germany would be Adam, Genelec, Focal...I have an interest in Neumann 120 As, but haven't listened to them yet.
      www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up getting a set of JBL 305s - smaller, inexpensive but a good value. I'm actually rather pleased with the quality of their sound. I have a very small studio space and in some ways the 4326s were a little oversized for the room. I still plan to repair the 4326s at some point in the future.
        Ambient Alchemy
        Twitch
        YouTube

Comment

Cool something I wanted to mention in my post earlier - maybe have an ebay-alert set-up? you might find a set, or even a single speaker, that way.
          www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

I' going to add a twist to this conversation...

We recently moved to a rural location and are 'off the grid' at least in the sense that we have a solar power system and no electrical utility connection. This results in my determining how to make electronic music within a fixed energy budget.

So, does anyone have knowledge of power requirements for self-powered monitors? And can someone recommend a pair that have a low power requirement?

Comment

Here's what you need, Windspace:

Comment

Maybe you'll get new...inspersperation...with that setup :P
                I'll show myself out.
                Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/fogparallax
                Bandcamp: https://fogparallax.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                  Here's what you need, Windspace:

Umm, talk about mobile music making...

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                    I'll show myself out.
                    I'm sure my doctor would love me to use this rig ;)

Comment

No expert, but other than type A and B amplifiers who use power all the time, I once read that type D amps are using a kind of time-slice tech to create the needed power and supposedly are much more efficient in that they only use power when they need it. For instance Adam is using type D amps.
                      Maybe somebody else with more knowledge can chime in?

I am very happy with my Neumann KH 120 A, but I heard the JBL 305 being very similar in sound quality - amazing considering the price!

Cheers,

Tom
                      http://www.screendream.de | “Do not seek water, get thirst.” - Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                        Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                        I'll show myself out.
                        I'm sure my doctor would love me to use this rig ;)
                        Im sure your doctor would :P Not sure you would ;)
                        Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/fogparallax
                        Bandcamp: https://fogparallax.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                          I' going to add a twist to this conversation...

We recently moved to a rural location and are 'off the grid' at least in the sense that we have a solar power system and no electrical utility connection. This results in my determining how to make electronic music within a fixed energy budget.

So, does anyone have knowledge of power requirements for self-powered monitors? And can someone recommend a pair that have a low power requirement?
                          I made a really rough estimate of my Presonus Eris E8s at around 175W but I could be way wrong. They're class AB and 130W between the two amps, and according to Wikipedia AB amps are "below 78.5%" efficient so I went with 75%. Obviously I didn't take heat loss into account either. I'd shoot an email to the company that makes the monitors you have/want, and I'd also ask how they handle less than perfect sine waves (depends on how good your inverter is, they can be really smooth or really steppy).
                          Meh.

Comment

Working...
                          X