low end laptops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low end laptops?

Anyone using anything particularly low end laptop-wise?

Just pondering getting something a bit more powerful (blame Reaktor Blocks...) than my ageing i3 for when I do get out and about. Can't justify a massive outlay so was looking at refurbs (based around 3rd gen i5s). Then I noticed a new 7th gen i5 wouldn't be that much more... I know the 'U' processors are more for mobile/low power usagebut it seems with gen 7 the benchmarks (for what they're worth audio-wise) have leaped on a bit. And if they did perform well enough then I'm all for less energy consumption (only one planet yada yada... ;))

Cheers.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Hi,
    I use a laptop with a i5-4210U, I run Ableton Suite, and it will run most things I throw at in Reaktor. However, I just bought Softube Modular, it appears to be on the verge of falling over.

I found my older laptop that uses a i7-720MQ is able to run the same bunch of software, so in fact, I didn't really 'upgrade'.

I will keep looking for MQ or HQ designated chips in the future. Where I live there are some nice secondhand laptops with Intel i7-4710MQ and some affordable Intel i7-7700HQ options.
    or I'll consider buying an older refurbished "compact desktops" system, these will still beat many new laptops.

Good luck.

Comment

Basically the only CPU spec that matters in audio, especially for Reaktor use, is single core clock speed. Do you hit 100% CPU in Task Manager?
      https://soundcloud.com/noiseconstruct/

Comment

Working...
      X