The new old Alchemy in LogicX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new old Alchemy in LogicX

I spent all night and half the day with the new old Alchemy 2, here are some first video experiments and little tracks. Some improvements, some de-provements and some remaining construction sites. It's all in this KVR thread in case somebody want to know.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=7&t=444960

Homepage

Any word on how they're going to handle 3rd party banks for it? I assume it'll be as easy as it used to be...does it still "scan for presets" or are those days in the past?

And by the way, you made it sound really good. Nice granular string demo. I don't own Logic, this is killing me. :D
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
      Any word on how they're going to handle 3rd party banks for it? I assume it'll be as easy as it used to be...does it still "scan for presets" or are those days in the past?

And by the way, you made it sound really good. Nice granular string demo. I don't own Logic, this is killing me. :D
      There is a Legacy Content switch in the browser which will display all the old libs, some patches sound different as they obviously changed some parameters and assignment routings but most of the stuff works fine. Only 3 of my Banks need a little alteration, as they don't have subfolders within the main preset folder, here is the easy fix (a quote form the KVR thread):

By the way: There's no need to move, import or export your old Alchemy libraries. The old stuff can be found via the third browser column, as "Legacy" content. All my old libraries were added automatically, including Simon's wonderful sounds. Very happy about that!

Furthermore, my 'old' Camel Audio Alchemy has been renamed to "Alchemy 1" in Logic automatically.

Hm, that was too early.... just realized that some legacy libraries don't seem to import. Refreshing the library doesn't help, either. I need to find out why most import just fine, while others don't... If somebody runs into the same problem, please let me know (and: how to fix this!).

EDIT: This affects just three libraries by Simon (Patchpool) - Aqualignum, MetaVox, The Vase. (Alchemistry & Co. work fine, though.)

EDIT 2: Solved. The new version expects a sub-folder within the main library folder inside "Presets", otherwise it won't show up. So I made a new folder within the library's preset folder, and moved all the presets there. Fixed the problem, presets show up now in Alchemy 2. So for example, the folder structure for "The vase" is now:

HD -> Library -> Application Support -> Camel Audio - > Alchemy -> Presets -> The Vase -> The Vase

Instead of:

HD -> Library -> Application Support -> Camel Audio - > Alchemy -> Presets -> The Vase

Homepage

Comment

Here is an Alchemy 2-patch using additive re-synthesis of a sound I made in Photosounder, that sample is also being used in the convolution reverb, quite amazing what one can do with a only a single source. The new Comb PM filter sounds brilliant!

Homepage

Comment

seems as they dropped support for microtonal tunings ...
          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
            seems as they dropped support for microtonal tunings ...
            Inside Alchemy, yes - Logic uses microtuning on a project basis, so you choose a scale for the entire project and all synths will follow that tuning.

Homepage

Comment

Seems that they removed the patch randomizer too...

Comment

[QUOTE=Sampleconstruct;26757]

There is a Legacy Content switch in the browser which will display all the old libs,

[QUOTE]
                Sorry, can you post a pic where that is.
                I purchase several of your libraries and 2 of them are for the previous Alchemy. Metallugry and Framedrum.
                Do those work in the new Alchemy.

Comment

[QUOTE=gabegarza1021;26875][QUOTE=Sampleconstruct;26757]

There is a Legacy Content switch in the browser which will display all the old libs,

Sorry, can you post a pic where that is.
                  I purchase several of your libraries and 2 of them are for the previous Alchemy. Metallugry and Framedrum.
                  Do those work in the new Alchemy.
                  Here is a screenshot, set the Browser display to Legacy Content and Sound Library to see all your old libs from version 1. I posted some more info on this topic in this thread:
                  http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...b8844c6e168289

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-01 um 05.34.26.jpg

Generally speaking: yes, the old libs work in version 2, but some things have slightly changed.

Homepage

Comment

Thanks for posting that pic but what's odd is I don't see that.
                    But it turns out there's another way to put your version 1 presets.
                    This is what I did and it brings up your two libraries I purchased from you.

From you Music on the left, follow the path to Alchemy, Libraries was already there.
                    I added AlchemyV1 and Samples. I think Samples is required as in the name itself and AlchemyV1 (which I made up) and Samples just has to be at the same folder level.

Alchemy.jpgAlchemy2.jpg

Once I did this, I'm able to see and use your libraries in Logic Pro X.
                    AccessFromLogic.pngSeenInSoundLibraries.png

Comment

Yeah, this is working out great regarding my previous Alchemy 1 sound libraries.
                      Alchemy1.jpg

Comment

Actually, the location I found is where you're suppose to put your own presets/samples.
                        To verify this, when you're working with an existing preset in Alchemy, do a "Save As" and notice the location of where it's going to save your preset. It's in the "Audio Music Apps" folder in the current user.
                        I'm the only users on my Mac, so this is perfect.
                        Libraries was already there in the Alchemy folder, I added AlchemyV1 and Samples.
                        SaveAs.jpgAudio Music Apps.jpg

Comment

But that's not the location you would want to use when preparing commercial sound libraries, which still is:
                          HD (ot user)/Library/Application Support/Logic/Alchemy Samples/Name of Library/Subfolders

Homepage

Comment

Welcome to the world of Logic Pro X.:listening:
                            Technically, a preset I make and a preset you make for commercial use are both the same since they'll both be using the same Alchemy.
                            There is no Alchemy for my preset and a Alchemy for your preset for commercial use.

Again, if you look at this picture Apple thinks the same way which commercial makers should think as well.

All presets NOT part of the original Logic Pro X installation should go into the "Audio Music Apps" folder.
                            Notice how all of the Logic Pro X instruments and effects are listed, even ESX24 is there as well.

So any preset NOT part of the original Logic Pro X installation should go into "Audio Music Apps" and any new presets that Apple does for Logic Pro X will go into there folder in the system folders.

Presets.png
                            Last edited by gabegarza1021; 09-05-2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Well, you're simply wrong, or we're both right, there is no “has to go“ location and 3rd party devs are not “users“ of a computer system but providers of extra content just as Apple is.

Homepage

Comment

Working...
                              X