What's Your DAW of Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your DAW of Choice?

So there ain't no arpeggiator/step sequenser available in the Pro Tools format.
    I'm a bit reluctant to invest 300 dollars just because I need an arpeggiator.
    Of course, if I buy VE pro 5 I get a whole lot more than just to be able to put an arpeggiator to my Pro Tools setup,
    but as of now, an arpeggiator is all I need.
    I think this is the downside of using Pro Tools. You don't get so many options when it comes to using plugins as many of the other platforms.
    Other than this I'm rather pleased with Pro Tools. I know there is other DAWs out there more suited to electronic/midi-based music, but Pro Tools is what I know,
    and have developed a workflow I like.

Maybe this isn't the thread to take up this, but here goes:
    What DAWs do you use, and what are the pros and cons of your DAW of choice? This will be helpful if I later are to decide whether to switch to another DAW.

And lastly, but not least, thanks for the replys to my question aoVI and S1gns.

Originally posted by northstar11 View Post
    So there ain't no arpeggiator/step sequenser available in the Pro Tools format.
    I'm a bit reluctant to invest 300 dollars just because I need an arpeggiator.
    Of course, if I buy VE pro 5 I get a whole lot more than just to be able to put an arpeggiator to my Pro Tools setup,
    but as of now, an arpeggiator is all I need.
    I think this is the downside of using Pro Tools. You don't get so many options when it comes to using plugins as many of the other platforms.
    Other than this I'm rather pleased with Pro Tools. I know there is other DAWs out there more suited to electronic/midi-based music, but Pro Tools is what I know,
    and have developed a workflow I like.

Maybe this isn't the thread to take up this, but here goes:
    What DAWs do you use, and what are the pros and cons of your DAW of choice? This will be helpful if I later are to decide whether to switch to another DAW.

And lastly, but not least, thanks for the replys to my question aoVI and S1gns.
    You should definitely consider VE pro. I bought it from Audio Deluxe for well under $300. Here it is but if you add it to cart it goes down to like $245. I was skeptical at first, because I didn't know how it really worked. Now I'm obviously a believer. It really DOES work. I have access to "almost" all of my AU's and VST's in Pro Tools 10.

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/vienna-ensemble-pro-5

We're going to make a new thread about everyone's DAW's of choice!
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I mostly use Ableton Live and quite often Rewire Reason into it.

I have a copy of EnergyXT which was useful for running as a VST in Live to get the modular functionality, but ever since I got hold of VSTForx I have no need for it so I doubt it will ever get used again.

Certainly thinking about getting hold of AudioGL too which will now has Rewire implemented so I could Rewire that into Live too.

Comment

I STILL use EnergyXT. I can't kick the habit. I use Cubase for recording audio with my Zoom G7.1ut
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Cubase, but I need to sell it for now. :cry:

Before that, I loved the workflow in Sony ACID Pro 7, but it was only 32-bit, so I moved to Cubase.

Comment

I use Cubase, and before that Studio One. It took a bit to get used to the multiple window setup in Cubase. It works well for multiple monitors, but is a pain on a big single. The thing that I love most about Cubase is the retrospective record where you can capture MIDI recordings even if record wasn't enabled. I also like the way insert effects are handled. It is very easy to switch them out while staying in the track view. There's more options available in the mixer view, but all I need is in track view. The downside is the dongle, but if you're ProTools, you're used to that. I'm still nervous about taking the key with me when I travel, but am planning to pick up an Artist version just for traveling to reduce my risk.

Comment

I use FL Studio. Mainly because I have used it since the beginning of time. (Since version 3, I am currently on 11)
              It's easy, I can record stuff, it has a sweet pattern editor/piano roll, the mixer is sweet and so on.
              I have not used any other DAW in a serious sense, I played around with some trackers. Jeskola Buzz and Renoise, but I did not like them that much. Or, shall I say, I did not understand how they worked.
              I tried Ableton Live but did not get the hang of it.
              http://www.soundcloud.com/tarmskrap

Comment

My DAW of choice...why must I choose? I love all DAWS. After all, they are only a means to an end, right?

For those that didn't know already based on previous posts, I am a converted Pro Tools user from Digital Performer. Both DAW's essentially do the same thing. They give me an environment to record, track, mix, and master my music using a workflow that thrives on efficiency and performance.

Why Pro Tools? Well for one, it's lightning fast to edit midi and move around in. And with VE Pro (see above) I still have every plugin at my disposal. I got used to it, and it worked. It's served me well through 2 albums thus far. It's stable and reliable. I know how to get things done it in.

Now Digital Performer. Why do I use 2 DAW's? For one, it still runs AU's natively as any DAW on a Mac should. That in itself is a plus. It's familiar to me. The bounce to disk has ALWAYS been on warp speed which means I can bounce out stems with total ease...really good for collaborative work!

That's really what it's all about. What DAW has all the features you need and can get the job done in. Nobody wants a DAW they don't understand and only sketch in because they can't seem to finish the job. That was Reason for me...and I don't know why. No offense to anyone, and I still own and use Reason sometimes and respect it because it's super powerful but I could never "finish" stuff in that environment. Maybe there were too many options? That's also something to consider.

My 2 cents.
                Synphaera Records
                Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I'm using Sonar X1. I'm using it because I got years ago Cakewalk and just moved along with their upgrades. I tried a free version of Cubase along the way, but was just used to the way Sonar worked I guess so never changed (not to mention the cost in changing both in $ and the time to learn another DAW). I can't speak for other DAWs as I have no experience of working with them, but for the kind of music I'm music I keep hearing that Ableton Live is the one to go with ... I know some on here use it.
                  HP Z420, Intel Xenon [email protected] 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,
                  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : MOTU Ultralite Mk-3, & Sonar : Producer X2
                  https://soundcloud.com/ambientindigo
                  http://www.ambientmusicconference.com

Comment

Using Pro Tools 10, Reaper as a rewire client for getting VST's involved.

I really like using PT, but I am tired of bumping my head on the limitations due to it being 32 bit. I use Reaper (64) on its own as well.

PT will go 64 with version 11, but the price of an upgrade will be about the same as any of the other DAWs flagship models, new. I am seriously considering changing sometime in the future rather than upgrading. Avid doesn't seem to be leading anymore, but following--enjoying the momentum they had with professionals in years past. I will certainly not be among the early adopters of PT11, but will wait and see if PT11 brings anything truly unique and exclusive to the table. If not, It may be Studio One or Cubase for me.

Comment

Sonar X2 here. I got a free version of Sonar Home Studio with an interface some time ago. I found it fairly easy to learn and use, so I got on the upgrade train. They did a major overhaul of the UI a couple of years ago ... I really like it as I thought the UI was the biggest weakness of version 8. I also really like the Pro Channel (effects integrated into the strip). Overall I think the Producer version is a very good value with the included instruments and effects. I hear it has stability issues on some hardware, but I haven't had any problems.

I've tried Reaper but I found it was just too different from what I was used to. And I didn't want to spend the time learning to do what I can already do in Sonar. But I was very impressed by its small footprint and how fast it loads.

I also have a "Lite" version of Ableton Live that I fool around with occasionally. It seems like its greatest strength is performance, rather than composing and arranging which is my main focus.

I'm also keeping my eye on Bitwig ... it looks like it will be very interesting if it can deliver everything they say it will.
                      https://soundcloud.com/waltmusekamp

Comment

Originally posted by IOK-1 View Post
                        I use FL Studio. Mainly because I have used it since the beginning of time. (Since version 3, I am currently on 11)
                        Same here, used it since 3. Best lifetime free upgrades ever. :D

I messed with a couple others and didn't get into the workflow. Habits, I guess.

It's good software. Not without flaws, not without a few useless doodads, and not without a couple of the devs being opinionated and stubborn about certain features... but I don't think it ever deserved the reputation of not being capable or serious enough. It does come with a few very good plugins too.

Comment

Originally posted by falls a star View Post
                          Originally posted by IOK-1 View Post
                          Same here, used it since 3. Best lifetime free upgrades ever. :D

I messed with a couple others and didn't get into the workflow. Habits, I guess.

It's good software. Not without flaws, not without a few useless doodads, and not without a couple of the devs being opinionated and stubborn about certain features... but I don't think it ever deserved the reputation of not being capable or serious enough. It does come with a few very good plugins too.
                          Always been curious about FL Studio. It will probably never come to Mac as a native application. For those interested, here's why: http://support.image-line.com/knowle...hp?id=&ans=114

For them to do that, it sounds like it would be a complete rewrite of the program from the ground up. Wonder how long that would take? :razz:
                          Synphaera Records
                          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I considered change of my DAW, but since my mode of work is based on sound editing and mixing, I just upgraded Audition 3 to CS6 and I'm happy with that. All my instruments work in SAVIHost or VSTHost, so VSTi support is not needed.

But IF I really had to change my DAW, my current analysis points to Cubase.
                            SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                            Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                            "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

It's not for everyone, but I love Cubase so much that the moment I sold it, I regretted it, so the moment I received payment for it, I purchased it again. :blush:

It should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. :tu:

Comment

Working...
                              X